The Planted Tank Forum banner

5 Gallon Fluval Spec

32K views 53 replies 28 participants last post by  bat_billy 
#1 ·
Saw one while I was ar Petsmart tonight. It looks like the 2 gal version, but it is longer, same filtration type, and a slim led light.

It was listed at $99 and I was tempted to pick it up, but was in a hurry and the wife would not have been happy ;)

I wish I took a pic, but again, was in a hurry.

Thought would share this for you nano tank keepers!

#18 ·
Not the same as the Chi. This model tank is totally new and there is very little info out on the net right now. Your best bet is to call your local Petsmart (they are the only ones that seem to be carrying it at the moment) and ask them if they have it in stock. Make sure you stress that you want the 5 gallon Spec, not the 2 gal.

#30 ·
I'm torn on this one - my first reaction was PERFECT! a big nano (but still small overall) with filtration and led lights that is long instead of a cube!

The more I look at it - about the size of a standard 5 gallon rectangle for $99. no background or gimmick to the style like an Edge or anything, could I build this for about that price?

-Get a 5 gallon old fashioned black frame tank (or rimless if you can). add:
-glass top (or old style hood if you prefer, or even leave it open)
-a submergable (new word?) led strip light - saw one today at Petsmart that had a black frame to hide it, very thin and could almost disappear on the front edge of a framed tank.
- smallest canister filter you can find or small internal like the Fluval u1.

Seems like a very similar result, with more viewing area as the one end isn't capped with the filter and other works. No light fixture sticking up either.

Time to check google and see how cheap I can find those pieces :)

#34 ·
Confirmed! I just picked up the last one they had at my location. I can't wait to get my betta tank started! I recently lost my betta of 5 years (she was a Wal-Mart rescue) and have been wanting to start up a strictly betta tank with a little more flair. (She was previously in my 20 gal long.) The Fluval Spec V is the perfect design for my set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.