Fluval Edge: First Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fluval Edge: First Planted Tank

Hello,

I own and have running a Fluval Edge 6gal for about 9 months now. It has always been a 'generic' looking tank with a few decorations and plants...much like a plain fishbowl.

However, I've always wanted to aquascape it and thus an overhaul of the tank and my search for what I need has begun. I am having difficulty understanding the substrate situation. I will be for sure planting HC and a moss ball or two but I'm not entirely sure what other plants at this early point. The substrate I'm looking to use is Eco Complete for Planted tanks: (http://www.amazon.com/CaribSea-Eco-C.../dp/B0002DH0QM). How long till I would have to replace the Eco Complete or others like it?

As well, I was going to use Excel for a CO2 replacement. Would I be able to just use regular gravel and then dose with Excel? Or can I use both at the same time? As for water changes, using Eco Complete, would I need to siphon the substrate or just purely a water change?

Moreover, if I can use gravel, what type of dark, smooth gravel would you recommend?

Much Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Planted Member

Hello,
I personally don't have any experience with eco complete so I can't advise you on that. However, I can say that due to the problems regarding the edge's light restrictions (the hood cuts out light to the outer edges of the tank) I would plan on planting the HC directly under the light. I'm not sure which edge model you have but if you haven't already upgraded the halogens to MR11/MR16 LED's that's something I can't recommend enough. For HC have you looked into the Dry Start method? It might be great to get your HC carpet started

In terms of gravel/substrate, there are many options available out there. I personally use Fluval stratum with seachem root tabs and my plants are growing like crazy. I have never used eco complete so I don't know if the nutrient content in that substrate is enough for most plants.

I've read of some people growing HC successfully without the need for CO2 supplementation. Also, I would warn you that using Excel (at least for me and a few other people) hasn't worked with keeping mosses / moss balls. It slowly killed them and deteriorated them over time. If you do use excel make sure you do not overdose! Right now my fluval edge is running with some medium/high light plants without excel /co2 and they are growing like crazy. There is no right or wrong way.. At the end of the day it's all a learning experience.

To my knowledge there is no need to siphon the substrate if you have a heavily planted tank (unless you have sand/substrate that you want to keep looking pristine). It may be a good idea to occasionally lightly siphon the top of your HC carpet to remove debris and waste but I would only do this once the HC is really grown in or else you'll just rip it out of the substrate.

I strongly recommend looking through the official fluval edge thread as well as doing a ton of research before you proceed with anything. Proper planning will save you tons of time, money and headache down the road.

I hope I could help. PM me if you have any other questions
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Any updates on this? Did you make any changes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode