So I have most of this posted in the official Biocube thread but thought I'd start my own thread on my tank.
This is my first planted tank and first freshwater tank since I was a kid...and that was a tank with a few fish and that's it. I'm still learning a lot from everyone here and i'm sure i'll make plenty of mistakes and that's ok as long as i'm still having fun.
I'll start off with what I have in my tank equipment, ferts, flora and fauna and then i'll have plenty of pics.
What's in my tank/what equipment did I buy?
Here is a list:
- 14g Biocube w/Biocube Stand (Closeout at Petco)
- Tree Stump (manmade)
- Coralife BioComplete, Black 20lb.
- Japanese Style Rocks (picked up at LFS but can't remember the rock name)
- Hagen Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System with CO2 Activator and Stabilizer
- Aqueon Coralife 10000K Straight Pin Compact Fluorescent Lamp (removed actinic bulb that was stock)
- Coralife Dual Digital Timer (to cycle lights)
- 6 Pcs Aquarium Plant Pro Tools Set (with case)
- Drop Checker with soution (will be here tomorrow)
- API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT
- Hagen AquaClear 50 Nylon Bag, 2-Pack (for Carbon if needed)
- Acurel LLC Economy Activated Filter Carbon Pellets, 3-Pound (if needed)
- Seachem Purigen 100ml (Middle Chamber 2)
- Blue Ribbon Filter Floss 7 oz (Top Chamber 2)
- Half of the Bioballs (Bottom Chamber 2)
- Seachem Flourish Excel
- Nutrafin Plant Gro
- Teta Aquasafe PLus (for tap water)
- Dwarf Baby Tears
- Dwarf Hair Grass
- Anubias Nana Petite
- Duckweed (rode in with the Red Cherry Shrimp)
- 10 Red Cherry Shrimp
- Some hitchhiker snails/eggs (unknown species?)
Here are the tank shots in progression over the last few weeks...
Empty tank with tree stump (look how blue it is with stock lighting, better for reef tank):
Next add the substrate and rocks:
Changed out 50/50 bulb for another 10k:
Next I bought some aquascaping tools which were great for planting:
Used the tools to add Baby Tears (foreground) and Hair grass (background):
Anubias Nana Petite added, tried using thread and then I just super glued it, much better:
Here is the growth after one week or so (today), note the floating duckweed that came in with my shrimp:
Here are some close up shots of a few things around the tank like the snail eggs, the scud, cherry shrimp and another mystery snail:
Snail Eggs on bottom left leaf:
More Cherry Shrimp:
So that's it up to today. As you can see on the Cherry Shrimp close up I have some green hair algae creeping in so I added the shrimp to help fight it. The Cherry Shrimp are doing great and eating like pigs on day one. Several also have berries so looking good.