Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 17 - The Planted Tank Forum

 1Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Fresh Fish Freak
 
lauraleellbp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 24,403
MODERATOR WARNING:

If you want to debate products, please start that in a different thread in the equipment forum rather than hijacking a journal.

Thanks everyone, and now back to Frank's lovely journal.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,214
Since frank sort of asked (well, more like he didn't say I couldn't) here's the original vs. "10% smaller" main stone, mocked up how I figure this'll grow in:

vs

The smaller stone just looks so sad. I think franks vision is that even more of the stones will be obscured, so there's that too.

I have to say, mocking it up really made me appreciate the moss/e. tennellus even more. I was kind of dubious, but It really draws the eye to the focal point of the main stone, while removing the microsword opens up up the entire right hand side into a sort of meadow. It's a really fantastic use of negative space, which is defintely under utilized in a lot of scapes (... like mine.)

That's what I get for doubting Frank, jeez.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
Dollface is offline  
post #243 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,810
Holy (insert your favorite word)!

That's an awesome rendering. I'm going to "repurpose" that immensely.
Francis Xavier is offline  
post #244 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Walnut Creek,CA
Posts: 67
Love the rendering Dollface! Still following this journal and really enjoying it. I don't have any ADA products...yet but I'm very happy to be reading a journal like this. It has put me in a different mindset. I thoroughly enjoyed doing maintenance on my 20L today with about 60% water change and some trimming/ removing unwanted or excessive plants. It surely helped a lot. Thanks again Frank for creating this journal for everyone!
Ptjameso is offline  
post #245 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Chlorophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: State of Emergency
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
Since frank sort of asked (well, more like he didn't say I couldn't) here's the original vs. "10% smaller" main stone, mocked up how I figure this'll grow in:

vs

The smaller stone just looks so sad. I think franks vision is that even more of the stones will be obscured, so there's that too.

I have to say, mocking it up really made me appreciate the moss/e. tennellus even more. I was kind of dubious, but It really draws the eye to the focal point of the main stone, while removing the microsword opens up up the entire right hand side into a sort of meadow. It's a really fantastic use of negative space, which is defintely under utilized in a lot of scapes (... like mine.)

That's what I get for doubting Frank, jeez.
Really nice drawings/renderings!
I see what you mean, the rock seems very small though in both those drawings.

edit: I don't know what kind of camera Frank is using but it seems to me it is just his Focal Length playing tricks on my eyes.
In some photos the rock looks too large but it was probably just shot with a longer Focal length, in other shots the rock seems a lot smaller.
I've found that to be a big challenge in photographing Iwagumi, you can really play to your tank's photogenic strengths by choosing the right focal length.
Chlorophile is offline  
post #246 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Planted Member
 
mluk27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: california
Posts: 211
Wow its truly incredible how fast riccia grows.. I had no idea lol
mluk27 is offline  
post #247 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Really nice drawings/renderings!
I see what you mean, the rock seems very small though in both those drawings.

edit: I don't know what kind of camera Frank is using but it seems to me it is just his Focal Length playing tricks on my eyes.
In some photos the rock looks too large but it was probably just shot with a longer Focal length, in other shots the rock seems a lot smaller.
I've found that to be a big challenge in photographing Iwagumi, you can really play to your tank's photogenic strengths by choosing the right focal length.
He's using a camera phone.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
Dollface is offline  
post #248 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
He's using a camera phone.
iPhone 4S if I recall.
freph is offline  
post #249 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,810
Yes iPhone 4S
Francis Xavier is offline  
post #250 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 AM
Planted Member
 
SeattleFishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 150
Frank - Could we have a pic of your equipment/setup under the tank. I read through your post but didn't see any and it help me understand what you are doing better.

I started my new tank about the same time you did and wish I could have started about a week later because I could have used some of your advice. That being said I'm hanging in there. My growth isn't as good as it could be but then again I don't have a pressurized CO2 system yet...I'm just using the Haggen Nutrafin Natural CO2 with mixed results.

BTW I love the look of your "First" setup at ADG...wow, that glass cabinet looked amazing! Talk about having nowhere to hide the mess!
SeattleFishGuy is offline  
post #251 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,810
Day 11:

I went ahead and used airline tubing to remove any left over dead matter from the microsword.

Took the water level way down today:



Allowing the scape to breath in open air for a few minutes (5 or so) every now and again will help prevent algae, since the exposure will help kill any residual algae spores, usually useful for non-serious algae types and purely for preventative measures.



You will notice I switched the diffuser sides.

If you read the flow Charts I posted earlier you will understand the reasoning behind this (if you haven't read it, refer back to page 13 or so, it's somewhere around there).

Basically by manipulating where I put the diffuser in relation to flow I can optimize which plants grow quicker.

You will see me manipulating this variable often and it is why I always recommend against reactors. I want you to start looking at these variables and adopting this habit in your aquarium. Just follow along and watch how I do it and you'll pick it up.

So homework for you tonight is if you've had your diffuser in one spot for a long time, move it to the other side and watch what happens.

And a cool shot to end out the day:



Dosing: Green Brighty Step 1 & Brighty K 1 squirt.
Green Bacter: 6 drops.
Francis Xavier is offline  
post #252 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleFishGuy View Post
Frank - Could we have a pic of your equipment/setup under the tank. I read through your post but didn't see any and it help me understand what you are doing better.

I started my new tank about the same time you did and wish I could have started about a week later because I could have used some of your advice. That being said I'm hanging in there. My growth isn't as good as it could be but then again I don't have a pressurized CO2 system yet...I'm just using the Haggen Nutrafin Natural CO2 with mixed results.

BTW I love the look of your "First" setup at ADG...wow, that glass cabinet looked amazing! Talk about having nowhere to hide the mess!
Here's an equipment shot for you under the cabinet, not a whole lot to see. The filter goes to the wall socket and the light and co2 solenoid (el-valve) are hooked into a timer behind the cabinet.

Francis Xavier is offline  
post #253 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Planted Member
 
mahko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 174
Frank, you've mentioned the 'chopstick method' when talking about lily pipes for aeration, would you mind explaining this for me? Perhaps I mis-read this while reading though the thread.

Also, just wanted to say that I've been following your journal and have adopted a lot of your practices as my own and seeing great improvements in my tanks. Thanks!
mahko is offline  
post #254 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by mluk27 View Post
Wow its truly incredible how fast riccia grows.. I had no idea lol
This is Riccia's greatest strength and greatest weakness all at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptjameso View Post
Love the rendering Dollface! Still following this journal and really enjoying it. I don't have any ADA products...yet but I'm very happy to be reading a journal like this. It has put me in a different mindset. I thoroughly enjoyed doing maintenance on my 20L today with about 60% water change and some trimming/ removing unwanted or excessive plants. It surely helped a lot. Thanks again Frank for creating this journal for everyone!
It's great to see you take away great habits from this journal and applying them. The more you can enjoy the maintenance and the trimming ( sculpting) part of the process, the more you successful you will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahko View Post
Frank, you've mentioned the 'chopstick method' when talking about lily pipes for aeration, would you mind explaining this for me? Perhaps I mis-read this while reading though the thread.

Also, just wanted to say that I've been following your journal and have adopted a lot of your practices as my own and seeing great improvements in my tanks. Thanks!
In the past I would lift the lily pipe up on a nano tank at night by using a chopstick placed / held at an angle to hold the lily pipe up. However, of late, I haven't done this since it hasn't been entirely necessary.

You'll have to share some of the improvements you've seen by adapting the methodologies! It's great to see.
Francis Xavier is offline  
post #255 of 1094 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,810
More Day 11:

Moving the diffuser (and likely, this combined with the fact that I rose the water level up a tad higher) resulted in some heavy pearling yesterday.



Full shot across, since it might be more difficult to see the full details, below are close ups of right and left side.



A beautiful Riccia bed!



The coloration of that Tennellus is going to tie this whole layout together rather dynamically.

It might just be my imagination, but the colors seemed to pop even more vividly yesterday. For me, this layout consistently surprises me as it gets brighter and brighter in color as the plants have made their transitions and are absorbing more nutrients.
Francis Xavier is offline  
Reply

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome