Need some advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Need some advice

I'm looking to get back into the hobby a bit, but don't want to break the bank or go overboard.

I just want a simple, smaller tank. I'm thinking of going with a betta and possibly a snail. It's been a while and I don't know where to start. I still have some driftwood left over as well as an AC 20 filter and a heater.

I was thinking about just going to PetSmart and grabbing a 10 gallon and then heading over to Home Depot for some play sand or pool filter sand. Then the Fluval Flora caught my eye. I don't plan on delving into the "difficult" category for plants, so I figure the Flora should be more than suitable for my needs.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Fluval Flora actually comes with a little CO2 unit, so you could even grow some higher need plants as well. However the light that it comes with won't really be able to grow difficult plants.

As far as I've heard, the Fluval Flora or the Ebi is a good package, but people often find themselves upgrading or changing what comes with the package. For instance, I have seen negative reviews about the filter, some people either buy a second Fluval light fixture to double the light, and the foam background might pop off if you don't squeeze more silicone behind it to secure it.

I decided instead of getting the Fluval Flora (or Ebi) to get a plain rimless 12" cube so that I could buy all the materials I need myself. It might be a little more expensive than the initial cost of the Fluval Flora, but in the long run, if you were to upgrade parts of the Flora, the price comes out about the same.

To save even more money, you could head over to the DIY board and see what people are building themselves instead of buying. I am making my own LED fixture, and it is wayyy cheaper than buying.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Algae Grower

If you have the space and the AQ20 filter already, I don't think the Flora makes sense, especially if you're on a budget. You don't need the co2 to grow easy plants. Better to get the 10g (or a 20g) and spend the money on other stuff. With a hood and some cfls, you should be able to grow a wide variety of plants.

As far as fauna, I would definitely throw some shrimp in there. They help clean up, provide a lot of activity, and have a very small biological footprint.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Every time I've started an Ebi/Flora, I've sold the stuff I didn't want or need here on the forum or one of the auction sites. Almost always end up with the tank just costing about $15-$20 after the filter and various items with it are sold. It's a good buy if you want a tank without seams in the front and want something that already includes a glass top. The light alone that comes with these Fluval tanks is worth half the price, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomecatcher View Post
It might be a little more expensive than the initial cost of the Fluval Flora, but in the long run, if you were to upgrade parts of the Flora, the price comes out about the same.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurrch View Post
If you have the space and the AQ20 filter already, I don't think the Flora makes sense, especially if you're on a budget. You don't need the co2 to grow easy plants. Better to get the 10g (or a 20g) and spend the money on other stuff. With a hood and some cfls, you should be able to grow a wide variety of plants.

As far as fauna, I would definitely throw some shrimp in there. They help clean up, provide a lot of activity, and have a very small biological footprint.
Yeah, my rational side is telling me to go with the 10. I have some 13W CFL bulbs I could put in it.

I've heard stories of shrimp attacking Betta's fins and tearing them, so I think I'll stay away from them and stick with a mystery snail for cleanup crew.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.shelly View Post
I've heard stories of shrimp attacking Betta's fins and tearing them, so I think I'll stay away from them and stick with a mystery snail for cleanup crew.
Lol.. Most people hear the stories of betta's eating shrimp, not the other way around.

37g w/ eclipse 3 planted Betta sorority
29g w/ eclipse 3 planted shrimp & snail tank
20 gallon long divided into 4 planted betta condo's
7.9 gallon fluval flora planted
6.6 gallon tall planted mini sorority
3g eclipse betta tank
2g hex betta tank
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Algae Grower

Yeah, it's the aggressive ghost shrimp and crays that will do that. Most other dwarf shrimp are betta food.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
Lol.. Most people hear the stories of betta's eating shrimp, not the other way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthorange View Post
Yeah, it's the aggressive ghost shrimp and crays that will do that. Most other dwarf shrimp are betta food.
Oh, I've definitely heard it both ways. I'm just not as concerned about a couple 10 cent ghost shrimp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode