The Planted Tank Forum banner

2.5 gallon -Endless Algae- 2/5/12 algae rescape

15K views 51 replies 9 participants last post by  Rob in Puyallup 
#1 · (Edited)
Since there has been a lot of talk recently about hawaiian red shrimp, I've decided to share my tank.

Specs:
Tank Size: 2.5 gallon AGA
Substrate: Crushed Florida Coral
Hardscape: Red Lava Rock (BBQ lava rock)
Filtration: Box filter filled with filter floss and ceramic media
Heating: 7.5 watt Hydor Heater (though I don't think it still works)
Lighting: 27 watt cf bulb with a desk lamp, timed for 14 hours and sunlight from a south-facing window
Water Parameters: Ill measure the nitrogens, pH, kH, and gH later. The current salinity is 27 and the specific gravity is 1.020.
Fauna: 40+ Halocaridina rubra aka Hawaiian Volcano Shrimp aka Opae Ula, MTS
Flora: Cladophora, Green Dust Algae, Hair Algae, Marimo Balls, some sort of bubble algae on the surface

I've had the tank setup for almost two months now. It's pretty much near zero maintenance. All I do is: Do top-offs with dechlorinated tap water; Change about 50% of the water once a month; Add marine salt to adjust the salinity if it drops too low (since some salt leaves the tank because of salt creep) during water changes; And supplement the shrimps feeding maybe once a week with either soft green algae (when I have any) or a small piece of algae wafer.

Anyways here are some more pics. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics. I should invest in a new digital camera...

Yes, there are MTS in the tank. They are surviving in full strength salt water. In fact they are breeding since I always see a new small baby every few days.

They will often chill in the lava rock pile, picking at the rocks.

Picking at the clouds of hair algae.

Picking at the GDA.

Feeding on an algae wafer.

Oddly enough, it seems that I have two varieties. One is the typical red form. The other is opaque white, similar to snowball shrimp. There are also some half-white, half-red ones that looks kinda like rilis.

More whites.

One of my bright reds. You can't really tell cuz my phone's camera sucks.

And that's it for now.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! If I ever need to rescape the algae, I just take it out of the tank, roll it into a ball, and shape however. Since there's almost no current in the tank, the algae just floats there. Unfortunately, no breeding so far. They seem to be content just picking at the algae and pooping all the time.

#5 ·
Actually, I might reduce the salinity during the next water change. I added too much salt since my hydrometer wasn't detecting the change in salinity initially.

Lol, except these marimo balls are made of hair algae.

#7 ·
Maybe, though I feel no heat coming from the heater. Besides the tank sits right in front of a room heater next to my other tanks. The temps in those tanks hover around 74-76 degrees when the room heater is on and 72 when it's off. It might be a bit hotter since the lamp is a bit close to the cover, but I don't think that would cause the shrimp to not breed. From what I've read, breeding occurs after a certain age, maybe a few years after hatching. This is probably because they are so long lived (20 years or so)

#9 ·
#10 ·
Someone else did have a post where he said he tried to mimic natural conditions with varying salinity. I do remember reading that... But those shrimp should be ready to breed for you with all them saddles full of eggs :)

#13 ·
Mmmmm Algae

Took a few pics of the shrimp swarming over a clump of brown algae from my other tank (the 5.5 gallon crypt tank).

That's the largest MTS in the tank btw. I'll probably do an algae rescape when I do a water change sometime this weekend.

#18 ·
Did a water change, cleaned out the filter (and found a shrimp living off the biofilm in it), and rescaped the tank.

Decided to divide the tank to half rockwork, half algae and keep the center open for feeding.

I took out the hair algae, rolled it into a ball with my hands, and cut it up with some scissors to get the fluffy effect.

Algae clouds.

Added more lava rocks to the otherside of the tank to increase the places they could hide and possibly breed.

Other than that, I removed the heater from the tank since it stopped working. I can't really rely on Hydro Mini Heaters for consistent heating (this is the third that has died on me).

Anyways I reduced the salinity and specific gravity from 26 ppt and 1.019 to 17 ppt and 1.012. The temperature is currently 73 degrees but fluctuates depending on how long the light is on. I would test the other params but I am not sure if the freshwater master kit would work in brackish/salt water.

One last pic taken during the daytime.

#23 ·
Lol I was trying to go for that look.
I loveee the hair algae. It looks so fluffy - I kind of want to run my fingers through it, haha! Beautiful!
But it's very coarse and slippery. Thanks!
I have more of that stuff if you want it! I had a 55 gallon with and boy did it grow fast! I do like the looks of it. the shrimp oughta like that!
Lol. Thanks. Yeah, the shrimp are constantly swimming in and out of the "toxic gas cloud".
Looks like a scene from "The Mist". Hair algae in that amount looks CRAZY out of the water. I never knew they would have cotton candy consistency.

Will you get another heater for the tank? Maybe one of those reptile ones that you can rest the tank on?
Lol I wish it was cotton candy so I could eat it. As for another heater, I am probably not gonna be adding a new one. The room temperature stays in the lower 70's during the day and the light over the tank bumps the temp up maybe a degree or two up. Also the desk the tank is on sits right next to a heater for those really cold days. Besides, from what I've read, fluctuating temperatures might help them get into a breeding mood.

#22 ·
Looks like a scene from "The Mist". Hair algae in that amount looks CRAZY out of the water. I never knew they would have cotton candy consistency.

Will you get another heater for the tank? Maybe one of those reptile ones that you can rest the tank on?

#28 ·
Mmm yummy. I wonder what they taste like too.

Can I get some advice about starting an opae ula habitat? You're using BBQ volcanic rocks? Like from the outdoors section at Home Depot / Walmart? And how did you get so much algae to grow? Just left the light on or did you have a starting portion? Also what do you use to test salinity? Never done salt water.

Thinking of adding nerites to mine too hoping they'll breed and hatch. I'm surprised there aren't more people with opae ula tanks.

#36 ·
They'll eat soft green algae, diatoms, and GDA. Mine will pick at the hair algae but they'd rather graze on the biofilm and GDA on the glass.
Holy crap, who needs filter floss? Just stick that in your canister!
But then you'll get hair algae everywhere.
Instant Ocean (marine salt), I bought API Aquarium Salt first, then read it missed several trace elements required for brackish tanks.

I got a 3lb box. Used maybe 1/4 of the box and not at 1.01 yet, getting close. Hydrometers suck.

I don't think I'd ever want to do a marine tank (1.02) if it costs this much salt. Maybe I'll just walk down to the beach with a bucket... imagine the critters I'd come home with.
How are you mixing the salt? I bought a 10lb box of Petco brand marine salt and I use the scoop that comes with it. When Im making saltwater, I use a smaller container filled with water to create a super saturated solution. I then pour it into the tank slowly. You might have to give the tank a quick stir to evenly distribute the salt mix into the tank. That way you will avoid false readings of 1.02 when instead it's actually 1.25 (like I've done before).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.