The Planted Tank Forum banner

Jake's Got A New High-Tech Ebi

36K views 174 replies 34 participants last post by  Plinkploop 
#1 · (Edited)
Picked up a new Ebi a few weeks ago and finally got it 90% planted tonight. Doing a dry start to get things grown in well.

The details:

• Fluval Ebi, background removed
  • Eheim 2213
  • Pressurized CO2 - dual-stage regulator, solenoid, etc
  • 3 Fluval 13w Clip Lights
  • Fluval Shrimp Stratum
  • Osmocote Plus gelcaps
  • Random lace rock
  • EI dosing

Plants:

• Utricularia graminifolia
  • Staurogyne repens
  • Vallisneria nana will line the back of the tank once it's flooded

Critters:

Will eventually be home to a bunch of Red Cherry Shrimp or Painted Fire Reds (if I can find the PFRs!), a Nerite or two, a bunch of blue Ramshorns. Really going for lots of bright, contrasting color.

Here's a rough look:

Not entirely sure how I feel about yet another UG tank but I think I'll give it a go.

Hope you stick around to see how this tank turns out.

Jake

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! It's my second small attempt with UG (this was the first) and I'm hoping it turns out as well. I'm thinking it'll do fine, as pressured CO2 is much more suited to UG than DIY yeast.

I'm excited to see how this S. repens grows up and am hoping the Vals aren't overwhelming. If so, I'll have to find another background plant that won't drive me insane.

#4 ·
Geez man, could you put any more lights on that tank? :) Should make for massive growth!

And nice staurogyne, that was planted in a nice way (shape it makes around the rocks, very flowing). Let me know if you ever have any extra for sale :)

Good luck! Will be watching this!

#5 ·
Haha! I originally had four until I decided that was a bit absurd. Put the extra in a cabinet just in case I decide to use it later.

Hoping to get by using two lamps once the tank is filled while using the third as a midday burst.

Thanks re: the S. repens. I think it's going to add some nice contrast and scale to a tank this size once it starts to grow up a bit.

#11 · (Edited)
Not a lot has changed, really:

UG has grown in, S. repens is chugging along - maybe browning a bit because it's tough to keep the stratum wet all the time.

Probably going to fill it this week and crank up the CO2 for a while.

The Val. nana I got from msjinkzd hasn't survived the past month so I think I'm going to have to go on the hunt for more or come up with something else.

#14 ·
I love it!! How have you been BTW? Haven't spoke with you in awhile!

#15 ·
Nice tank! Love the UG.

Question: I got what I believe to be the same exact lace rock from my LFS, and just tonight I got around to testing it with the nitrate test fluid (one small drop of test fluid #1 on various parts of the rock). It fizzed up pretty good. Which made me decide against using it. Are you worried about it rasing the pH of the water? If not, how come? I ask because I do want to use it, I got it cheap enough and it looks pretty neat. Thanks for any feedback!

#16 ·
chubbyone: This particular type of rock (typically dubbed "Lace Rock") is usually used in marine setups and is usually harvested from marine environments. So it's always best to clean them well in boiling water and to let the soak for several days.

Each piece is different, really, since the critters that grew on them when they were submerged weren't always the same. Also depends on the amount and type of sediment that's caked on the rock, as it's quite porous.

Not worried about pH fluctuations because I've used this type of rock for years. If anything, it buffers my pH a bit. I also use substrates that lower/buffer pH for shrimp. Neocaridina heteropoda are hardy and I've never really worried much about parameters with them.

If you're concerned about it? Clean it really well. Boil it. Soak it for a week in a bucket. Ditch that water, clean it again, soak it for another week. Then test the water parameters. That'll let you know if there's anything to worry about.

#17 ·
Dangit. Hit post before I was finished. Need to stop that habit.

My big question:

Anyone have thoughts on background plants? The Val. nana I had didn't survive the month-long wait in another tank so I'm on the hunt.

Thoughts on Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis? Val. spiralis? Blyxa auberti? Maybe a Bacopa of some sort?

#18 · (Edited)
Time for an update!

The S. repens has grown a bit and I've trimmed and replanted some. UG has grown in really well on the lower portion of the slop and I'm quite happy with it.

A look at the front:

From the top:

Ordered some Bacopa monnieri that should arrive this week. Plan to put it in the back of the tank to get some extra height.

Yep, some of the S. repens is gaining height behind the rocks but I thing it really works for purposes of scale.

Hoping to flood and kickstart the cycle once the Bacopa arrives so I can order some PFRs.

Any thoughts on the lighting? Currently have three of the 13w Fluval lamps running but think I'll probably have to cut it down to to once I flood. Will that be enough? Am I still overdoing it? Opinions are definitely requested.

Thanks for checking it out!

Jake

#21 · (Edited)
Got some great Bacopa monnieri from the SnS a couple weeks ago and it's growing in quite nicely as a background plant. Think it's going to easily grow out the top of the tank, which would be a welcome sight in my opinion.

A couple shots (note: the images are hosted on my own server and we're doing upgrades this weekend, so have patience if they disappear for a bit):

To the left in that first picture, you'll see some rigid plastic tubing. Had originally hoped to use lily pipes on this tank but work keeps getting in the way of ordering and making it happen. It's also tough to locate pipes that will work for a tank with these dimensions that don't cost $125. So I plan on trying to use a dremel to craft a spray bar and intake from the rigid tubing (also have clear hose from the HD). Anyone had success making their own spray bars? Just can't stomach the ugly green Eheim garb in a tank I've spent so much time trying to make beautiful.

A few friends have been over to check the tank out the past few days and they're all giving me grief over having a 10lb CO2 cylinder just for this tank. Overkill? Maybe.

Still toying with the lighting. Not sure what to do. Leave all three lights on? Just use two? Use two and have the third as a mid-day burst?

Thanks for following me on this latest tank nerd journey.

Jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.