Fluval spec heating - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question Fluval spec heating

Hey im wanting to keep some cherry red shrimp in my fluval spec and was wondering if anyone had a good cheap heater in mind... I live in the basement :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I stuffed a Tetra 50 watt heater in the small compartment where the pump for the filter is. It barely fit but it works really well. It's a preset heater that keeps it a steady 77 degrees so it should be good for most fish. The nice thing is that it's entirely hidden inside the spec and the only thing coming out is the power cord. I think the heater cost about $20 at petco.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wal Mart has one that I use, it's about 10$ and fits in the back compartment where the pump is. It's preset to 76 I think but usually holds it around 74 but that's a good general temp anyways. All other small ones that fit that I can think of are about $25-30

I forget the brand but the model is HT-10
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the quick reply guys! My temp is sitting at 68F. I was wondering if one of those little pads for beta bowls might work? I will have to try and find the time tomorrow see as how my shrimp should be here the 30th.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got one for the smallest size I could get and it heated it up to like 32C. I'm not sure what that is Fahrenheit but it was way hotter than I think it should have been
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks again guys! I went to the pet shop I work at today and with my discount picked up that Ht-10 heater for about $7.00. It works great! The little area it's in stays about 77-78 were the main part stays about 74. Perfect for little cherries!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's the same one I have. Great little heater for a spec- I think I paid too much though at $17.99 or so at Petco... lol

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's list price, that's what mine says on the box. Haha but yea its awesome and works quite well for the job. Ive just never really trusted pre-set heaters all that much.
Though unfortunately my shrimp didn't come in the fish order today... Looks like I have to wait another week. Oh well it's give me more time to perfect the tank!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Algae Grower

I got this Hydor 25 watt for mine. I don't like preset heaters, either.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Sub...2748834&sr=8-3
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycbs View Post
I got this Hydor 25 watt for mine. I don't like preset heaters, either.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Sub...2748834&sr=8-3
Ditto. I put it in the back over the pump and cut a few holes in the outflow tube so that the warm water circulates freely (it had the added benefit of reducing the flow, which was WAY too strong IMO).
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That sound interesting. I put mine in over the pump as well. one of the mods i would like to do is to make it so the water has to fall on to the pad. i just feel like filtering the surface is slow when the water in the back is at the same level as the display. Kinda get what im saying?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

I can recommend the Hydor 25w or the 50w. The 50w is the same size as the 25w so I'd recommend the 50w. I also dislike pre-set heaters.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well i got some pics up in the SPEC gallery im trying to make if you want to go check it out and leave me your thoughts! Also tell me if the pics wont come up, im having some trouble....
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
Ditto. I put it in the back over the pump and cut a few holes in the outflow tube so that the warm water circulates freely (it had the added benefit of reducing the flow, which was WAY too strong IMO).
You cut holes in the tube in the back that runs from the pump up to the top?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post

We are also considering doing this. Any tips?

I have the Hydor 50W heater in the filter compartment and so far seems to be working well. I have just increased the temperature (currently empty tank) to 28C, keeping the tank at 26C.

Last edited by SnapHappy; 01-05-2015 at 08:58 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode