The Planted Tank Forum banner

Yet another planted bowl...(56k)

18K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  GMYukonon24s 
#1 ·
A little while back I posted just a couple of pictures of my Newman inspired shrimp bowl within another thread, but I've had access to a VERY nice camera, and I've also had a good bit of growth, including the genesis of many young shrimp, so I thought I'd throw up some photos and start my own journal.

Born:7.7.2011

Specs:
~2 gallon spherical bowl
Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix capped with Play Sand
Mopani Wood
Found Igneous Rock
13w Spiral CFL 10-12 hours a day

Flora:
Dwarf Hairgrass
Anubias Nana
Dwarf Baby Tears
Anacharis
Telanthera "Cardinal"
Fissidens Fontanus
Lesser Duckweed

Fauna:
5 Adult Red Cherry Shrimp
~35 Baby/Small juvenile shrimp
Cyclops
Planaria
Random gnats and tiny beetles who land on top of duckweed...

See less See more
#37 ·
Sorry for the uber-delayed reply, but yes, they are ~2.5g, prob 2 when filled with substrate, plants, wood, and rocks. The one on the left has some really nice DW in it now, I just need to get a camera to shoot it with.

#40 ·
Wow, I haven't logged in here for a while, and it is crazy to see these pictures, because they look almost NOTHING like what the bowls look like now. The one on the right is way cooler now. The telanthera(small red plant) grew a lot, I clipped and replanted it, and now have two big plants almost growing out of the water. There is also a bunch of java moss and a java fern in there now. The bowl on the left has really grown out, with the Stargrass almost choking the whole bowl out and the ludwigia reaching the surface in there. I also added a piece of DW and a java fern, which doesn't seem to be growing at all. There were 3 Otos and 3 Amanos in each bowl initially, but I lost one Amano and 4 Otos(2 in each bowl) which seems to be leveled off into a nice equilibrium. The bettas are doing great, and after seemingly not being interested in the cherry shrimp when I got them, have changed their minds; I keep seeing bright red fish poop every couple days. I gonna need to get some new pics of these things up before I have to do a big trim. Coming soon...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.