Which lighting mod for Fluval edge - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
PTrader: (5/100%)
Which lighting mod for Fluval edge

Hello everyone-

I have been away from the hobby for a while and I am just just jumping back in, with my Fluval Edge. I am trying to decide what the best way to upgrade the lighting.

My goals are:
- best possible lighting coverage without altering the external appearance
- The right light for the widest variety of plants including some high ones if I choose
- a mod that does not include significant amount of soldering.....but it does not need to be an easy mod.

I plan to remove the current swing arm light and mount the new fixture under the current hood/cover. So far I have come up with the two ideas:

1. Mount 5-6 MR11 leds in the hood like the ones linked below, Will these work the best? or are there better ones?

2. retrofit two 9 watt pc's like the ones below in the hood.

I have the power supply for the leds and the ballast for the pc's. Cost is not really the issue, I want the right solution that gives the best coverage and best light for plant growth.

What lighting mod would you put in your Edge?

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
PTrader: (99/100%)
I like your option 1 better as there will definitely be more heating issues with the 2 PCs under the hood. If you can jam in a couple of fans under the hood too that will be better.
Building a LED fixture using 1-3watt cree leds + heatsink which will fit under the hood maybe another way to go but that will need a bit more soldering which I think you would not want.
I myself have had a long standing battle with ways on how to keep the edge stock look while improving light coverage.
The main problem with the edge is the hood prevents light from reaching the corners of the edge that's why most of the light is concentrated in the mid part.
You can just adjust the way your plants are positioned depending on their lighting need to successfuly cover the whole floor area with plants.
You may check my links below to see how my edge went until I finally gave up keeping it stock and went away with the hood.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
PTrader: (5/100%)
Thanks Jeff!

Is there a way to confirm with certainty that these LED's alone will sustain high light plant growth?

I am still a little old school and worry about the LED's not working with flourescent support.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode