Fluval Ebi - African Biotype - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks.

Yeah I am not getting any killifish. I tried my hand in lampeyes, just to to see if they would jump before I got a more expensive killifish, all but 1 jumped out. The water is perfect, I think it's the sudden on and off of the lights, I even putt in floating plants, no luck. Good thing is they did breed for me and I have 6 babies. I'm going raise them to a lil bigger and then see if anyone wants them to enjoy in covered tank.

I'm at a loss at what to get right now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here some updated pics from last night:

FTS:

Bottom half:

Top half:

I also got some unknown growth in my emersed java moss. Let me know if anyone knows what it is:

I'm getting rid of the 2211 because of insufficient and unreliable flow rates. I added a 2213 to my tank and have turned down the flow of it. I have decided to get a African Leaf Fish as my main display fish. Opinions and comments are welcomed.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just found the shrimp. He died 30 or 40 ft away from the tank in my living room. I wasn't even looking for him in there...
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your tank looks awesome. Love the lotus and the arrangement of all the plants and driftwood. Have you thought of getting a piece of Plexiglas cut for the top, something that can be cut around where the wood comes out to keep it somewhat covered. Just trying to be helpful
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

looks like mystery plant might be a crypt.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

The tank looks really good, the plants seem to have taken off well in there. Have you been adding anything to help the growth or is this just the tank running its course?
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

What about adding some micro rasboras? I've never had them jump before, and all my tanks I've ever kept have been open tops.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoof View Post
Your tank looks awesome. Love the lotus and the arrangement of all the plants and driftwood. Have you thought of getting a piece of Plexiglas cut for the top, something that can be cut around where the wood comes out to keep it somewhat covered. Just trying to be helpful
Thanks for the kind words. I really love the tiger lotus too. I tried cutting my own Plexiglas but I always managed to crack it during the cutting process. I even looked at getting the lid it came with custom cut at a glass shop but they said it would cost more the tank itself. I added a lot more flating plants to deter fish from jumping out. But I gt to wait and see if that's gonna work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
looks like mystery plant might be a crypt.
Thanks Newman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
The tank looks really good, the plants seem to have taken off well in there. Have you been adding anything to help the growth or is this just the tank running its course?
I change the water twice a week and add Flourish and Excel once a week. I just bought a Paintball CO2 regulator from a member on this site and got dry ferts from GLA. So in a few days I'll change over to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
What about adding some micro rasboras? I've never had them jump before, and all my tanks I've ever kept have been open tops.
I initially thought about keeping rasboras but I couldn't think of any African species. Now I figured I'd get a African Leaf Fish, and anything else in that tank becomes a meal for him/her.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question on low O2

I have noticed today that during the night, when the lights are off, a few shrimps climb up on top of the java moss island. It got me thinking is this due to low oxygen during the night? Also I have had a lot of lampeyes jump out of the tank and that too happened during the night. I do not have too much water surface agitation. Should I add aeration during the night? Or do you guys recommend some other alternative action?
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

It's definitely a sign of insufficient O2. Either turn off your CO2 at night or run an air pump on a timer.

Tony

My 60P journal
and my Edge journal
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not running CO2 in the tank. I'll add a air pump. Thanks Tony
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Changing the tank up...

I decided to stop with the African theme, at least in the choice of fish. I took out all of the Bolbitis heudelotti and few of the Nymphaea lotus, so now there is some swimming room.

Fish/invert list:
I'll post some pics of the tank in the next week or so. In the time being these are some pics the seller, korwhord, took of the two bettas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fwbettashmp1305332021.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	30941  

Name:	IMG_1183.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	30942  

post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pics

Just some pictures I snapped tonight. Enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1636.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	31311  

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	31312  

Tags
anubias nana, betta community, fluval ebi, red cherry shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode