The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA 45-F for Desk at Work - First Tank

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  !shadow! 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Thinking about getting my first tank and would love for it to be at my desk at work.

I was thinking an ADA 45-F for the tank and the contents would be a iwagumi style landscape: shrimp, a few schooling fish and ground cover type plants. To keep things simple I was planning on using some modified desk lamp for light and some sort of a hang on filter. No CO2 for this setup.

Is this realistic for a first time tank owner to get set up in an office environment? Is it OK to leave one of these tanks unattended over the weekend?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

An ADA 45-F? That is a little on the shallow side for an iwagumi/normal aquarium in my opinion. Maybe look at getting a taller setup. But then again, it may just be me! This size tank is perfect for a mini riparium.

If you wanted to make an iwagumi setup with a carpet of some sort, you would need a CO2 source. If you do not want to go pressurized, you could probably dose a little liquid CO2 (Seachem's Excel) everday. (Except the weekends).

For filteration, why not invest a little money in a small canister filter? That would allow you to hide it and keep the tank from getting cluttered. If you can't do that, a good mini HOB filter is the Red Sea Nano. Not sure if that will work for a 45-F though, as I am not certain of the gallonage...

This type of setup is completely realistic for a "newbie". Just be patient. You wont have a master piece in a day!
Good luck!
Jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.