Newman's Shrimp Bowl - Page 31 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #451 of 655 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

whew i thought you were gonna sell the original.....that woulda made me really sad

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 655 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

no way am i selling the original. even if all my crystal shrimp disappear (they are still alive and well btw) then i'll still keep the bowl around and just try yellow shrimp instead.
post #453 of 655 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

ok i sent out one plant package today. I only have about 10 crypts left. staurogyne has been claimed and hairgrass was shipped today.
post #454 of 655 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awwww. It is sad that your taking down your two newest bowls. But it is great that your keeping the main bowl. xD

I added an updated picture of my HG growth if your interested in seeing it.

Cassandra
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?
post #455 of 655 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Full CO2 System FOR SALE! local pickup if you want the 10lb cylinder

I have no need for my CO2 system, so I decided to get rid of it.
It is this system:
http://www.aquacave.com/Deluxe-Plant...P1303C870.aspx
instead of the bulky reactor w/ powerhead assembly, I will include a Rhinox 2000 diffuser I think its a much more pleasing way of diffusion.

setup includes the following:
10lb cylinder
Milwaukee pH controller with probe
Milwaukee MA957 Regulator
Bubble counter (attached to regulator)
CO2 Hoses

The above setup is for pickup only if you also want that 10lb Cylinder. if you don't want the cylinder but want everything else, then i can ship.

Price is $200.00 picked up w/ cylinder
$175.00 shipped w/o cylinder

this system was used for less than 6 months, and produced amazing results. also no algae at all. proper CO2 injection really helps keep algae away!
post #456 of 655 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

5 crypts remaining. does anyone want to buy them for $5.00? I am shipping 5 of them next friday. would be cool if someone bought the last 5 Salvinia is included free. and i'll throw in a small java fern.
post #457 of 655 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

all crypts sold. jade shrimp gets the crypts.
post #458 of 655 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

ok. here is an unrelated matter to the shrimp bowl (which is doing well btw):

I setup a cherry shrimp crate recently, in hopes of breeding these great shrimp for a little bit of money.

Currently there are roughly 15 cherries in there. some have PFR potential which i will selectively breed for over the next year or so. There are also two amano shrimp in there for cleanup of algae (in case i get some). Plants are Taiwan moss tied to DW (also a tiny amount of flame moss in there) and Floating Salvinia. I have plans to replace the taiwan moss with fissidens once it grows out.

On to the pics.
Cherry shrimp:

Crate setup (i was doing a water change, hence the airline tubing. its not part of the setup):

Equipment for the crate includes a 100W heater, a small internal filter, and a floorlamp (this also lights my shrimp bowl. the shrimp bowl sits on top of the cherry crate, suspended by a wire mesh.)
not an attractive setup but that is not its function ;P
post #459 of 655 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Woot finally posted this! Shoulda done it newman style and use no filter or heater seemed like your cherries in your old bowl would reproduce like mad Good Luck! and if i DO get some fissidens from h4n I'll trade you some for some plants (if they grow lol)

When i eventually breed cherries I'm just gonna have a chain of Shrimp bowls :P and to think...it all started cause of you ._. my parents probably hate you now lol

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #460 of 655 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I would like some maintenance suggestions on this cherry crate.
Currently the plan is to do a weekly water change of 5 gallons of tap water (I top off with RO water)
Do a weekly sweep of detritus with the airline tubing.
Also possibly do a filter service/rinse out of media once a month or so.

During weekly maintenance i move the leaves and the DW around to get detritus that may accumulate under them.

This brings up the concern of crushing shrimp in the process, but i don't think that's an issue at this population density. may become a problem in the future though...

Main concern right now i sucking up shrimplets during weekly sweeping of the bottom...
If i do not do the sweeping, and if i just scoop all the water out from the water column, I run no risk of getting shrimplets but the detritus will continue to accumulate...
so there lies my dilemma.
what should I do after the shrimplets appear in the crate? should I siphon the way i always do and then somehow double check the water i siphoned out?
post #461 of 655 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i would do it w/o heater and water flow, but on a larger system it might be more annoying, and the growth rate wouldn't be as fast. I did all this to breed them and grow them quickly, hopefully at optimum conditions.
post #462 of 655 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As long as the shrimplets don't die when they get siphoned I'd just do what you normally do and then put the little suckers back into the tub. If you ever get culls let me know. I love culls for some reason. especially if the have dark red specs on a translucent body(i dont know why i like those ones so much). Doubt you will though...those are pretty deep red shrimp

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #463 of 655 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I will definitely have culls for you. my first sale of these shrimp is going to be likely about 10 or more of regular quality cherry reds. you may want those. At that point I'll be saving the fire reds and selling all the rest for cheaper - regular cherry price.
post #464 of 655 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Keep the REALLY crappy ones for me lol then I can send you my "culls" of those shrimp, which would end up being fire reds lol :P

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #465 of 655 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

On my 5 gallon, I do get shrimplets sucked up all the time and I just spoon them back.... gonna be harder with the higher water volume.... maybe run the siphon water through a net to catch the little guys and detrius and then sort it out... a little messy, but it lets you cull the ones you want not just the unlucky ones. I use larger diameter tubing so that if I do suck them up, they do not get hurt in the tube. I snapped an adult in half once, but it was his fault for not being fast enough....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode