Update! w/Pics: 2.5gal Office Pico - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update! w/Pics: 2.5gal Office Pico

Hello everybody,

After years of lurking on these boards I've decided to create a journal on my 2.5gal Pico tank that I started setting up in my office. At first I wanted to go low-tech, but I also wanted to try my hand at growing some hemianthus callitrichodes (HC) carpet emersed so I am not sure how this will turn out in the long run.

Tank Specs: 11.5in x 6.5in x 7.5in Rimless

Substrate: Aquasoil Amazonia II
Light: 27w CF (home depot desklamp) -i also have a 9w clip-on CF
CO2: not sure about pressurized, will be dosing Excel for now... Fluval CO2 88g
Ferts: most likely EI, maybe PPS Pfertz - 1x/wk
Filtration:Nano HOB filter Eheim 2211
Flora: Blyxa Japonica, HC, Dwarf Sag Swords
Fauna: 3x Celestial Pearl Danio's, 3x Red Cherry Shrimp

I set up the hardscape back in August, but haven't actually touched it since a few weeks ago.

Here it is a day after i've planted all my HC

About a 4 days later I started noticing a tiny bit of fungus developing so I submersed everything for a day.

Here it is today.

Originally I wanted this tank to be as low-maintenance as possible (rare water changes, if at all), but my HC will most likely prevent that from happening.

Do you guys think that once I transition my HC to submersed that the 9w clip-on light will be sufficient? I am trying to avoid a daily fert regime and CO2, but this may be impossible with HC.

All suggestions/critcisms/praise welcome

Last edited by nimavafi; 04-15-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Update!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've only tried to grow HC in high light, so I don't know how well it would do with only 9 watts. I have a feeling that might not be enough light.

It grew beautifully for me in a 2.5g under 26 watts of PC lighting (catalina fixture), with Amazonia substrate, diy co2 (and Excel too for awhile, too), and light dosing 2x weekly with Seachem ferts.

Also, I think the tank might look better if that rock in the front were moved a bit to the right. Something about it being smack dab in the center doesn't look quite right to me.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association www.gwapa.org
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Algae Grower

Is it at all possible to grow HC in high light conditions using fertilizers, but no CO2?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

In low light with the right nutrients I grow HC but it strings out tall and won't carpet. I use it as a micro stem plant really....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrabettaguy97 View Post
Is it at all possible to grow HC in high light conditions using fertilizers, but no CO2?
You would probably need to use Excel daily.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association www.gwapa.org
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@chicken I do plan on using Excel daily for CO2 supplement, but that usually means regular fertz. Also, i agree that the center rock is too 'center', but with my HC already rooting i find it hard to move. I think I might move it over to the left in the empty patch.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Everything was looking good for my emersed HC setup until I came back from the thanksgiving holiday. I left the tank for 5 days unattended, which i didn't think was a big deal.

Well when i got back into the office I noticed that my HC was yellowing and portions seemed to be 'wilted' away with a very dark green (almost black). Looks like it could be fungus, but its not white and stringy like I've read about. Not sure what caused this as the substrate was still very wet, and the tank had been covered. Could it have been due to it being too cold?

Now the tank is filled so I can start dosing ferts, hoping this will improve the HC.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

so its been almost a week since my last update and I am starting to run into some 'new tank' problems. My HC started yellowing last week and I decided to fill the tank so I could begin adding fertz. Since then I've added some more plants but still no fish:

Blyxa japonica
Dwarf chain sword (scientific name?)
Anubias nana

The tank now has cloudy water, but this could be due to a bacterial bloom, which I don't mind. But the substrate is covered in what looks like detrius, but I am not sure.

I've began dosing using the pfertz line (NPK and Micro), but its very hard to dose a 2.5 gal. I've been adding a 3-4 drops of NPK every other day, with M in between. Dosing a little less than a half cap full of Excel daily (too much?)

Since dosing, my blyxa has started to melt (could be due to acclimation), no changes in the dwarf chain sword. But HC is showing new growth.

Could this be algae? (almost looks like cyano)

Here is a FTS:

Anyone have experience with pfertz on a tank less than 5gal?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:15 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

this tank is gonna look tight when it fills in.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 05:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimavafi View Post
Dosing a little less than a half cap full of Excel daily (too much?)
Cap full of excel = 50 gallons
1m of excel = 10 gallons

I dose 0.25ml of excel on my 2.5G

I use a 1ml syringe to dose my ferts and excel.

Currently out of the hobby
Forum lurking every now and then
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
I use a 1ml syringe to dose my ferts and excel.

What kind of fertz are you using? And what is your dosing regimen?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

I use rootmedic macro and micro, and seachem excel. I dose on monday and thursday for all 3. Water change on sunday.

0.25ml of excel
0.1ml of macro and micro, dosed 10 minutes apart from each other.

My plants are anubias and javafern. Abit overkill IMO for such a low tech tank. And I have rcs for my fauna. 13watt light, which is probably less since I haven't changed the bulb in almost a year.

Currently out of the hobby
Forum lurking every now and then
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Looks like my algae has run its course (for now). Seems to be clearing up, and I've just added pressurized CO2.
Getting great new growth on the Blyxa japonica and the HC is starting to fill in.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Algae Grower

Yep, CO2 will do it. Good job bringing the tank back!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

UPDATE:

I ran out of CO2 and found out that the Fluval 88g kits have non-standard threading on the regulators so you have to use their cartridges(I have 2 88g Crossman cartridges if anyone is looking to trade or buy). Took about a week to get refills, and in that time I cut back on fertilizing and decreased the intensity of light. No serious algae outbreaks, but my HC did start to yellow pretty quickly. CO2 is back in action and I've added 4 Amanos.

Ive also changed out my bubble counter and diffuser with Do!Aqua ones, in addition to moving my filter to one side for better flow across the whole tank. I am really considering an Eheim 2211 and an Archaea 27w, but that will have to wait until more $$ rolls in...

I feel a new scape in the coming months..any suggestions? Wood? more rocks? Seiyu stones? let me know

New friend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode