Amano's wall mats? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Originally Posted by Kim Leng
you can try using a wire mesh for the base and tie the mosses down by wrapping fishing line....

alternatively use a sheet of acrylic about the size you want...dripp holes for circulation...... lay the moss over it and then use the mesh from the supermarket
I like both those ideas - I imagine they'd stay put well.

Tropical Swamp Modeler
Sponsored Links
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
Originally Posted by Bonsai_Swamp
Besides the excess length, I was worried about the (large) size of the holes and the possibility that some of my smaller loaches might work their way into the wall. (What are the chances a loach would do that, eh?)
I used the black 1/2" plastic hardware cloth from Lowe's for the moss wall on my nanocube. My only regret was that the clear suction cups I used turned white after extended immersion and really stood out until the moss grew over them. My kuhli loaches and cherry shrimp hide in it all the time, but I haven't seen one of them get stuck.

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Burlap Cloth

I have been using burlap cloth sold in garden centres for wrapping shubs for winter or as pond basket liners. I use it as the substrate and 'weave' the plants or roots into it.

I got the idea from a article writen by Peter Bradley in Practical Fishkeeping magazine.

Its also called Jute carpet backing, Hessian cloth.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower
Send a message via Yahoo to zhima
I don't get how u can attach the mesh to the glass without leaving any gaps when all you use is suction-cups.

I think it's dangerous for the fish that likes to hide, for example the young dwarf ciclids.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 03:03 AM
Algae Grower
Ace Hardware plastic mesh (door screen)

I've bult a small "carpet" of java moss for one of my nano's using plastic door screen mesh and a couple of criss-crossed loops of dark polyester thread. Within a month the moss completely hid the threads and mesh except when my apple snail digs under it and kicks it up, exposing a corner, some underside, etc.

I bought a 1.5 ft X less than 2 ft odd sized scrap of the door mesh for a dollar at my local ACE Hardware. The idea came to me while there shopping for something else.

HOWEVER, I too would sure like to know what the Japanese word is that is being translated in those Amano books so we can know for sure what he's refering to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode