step-by-step nano vase terrace LOTS OF PICS - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
step-by-step nano vase terrace LOTS OF PICS

This is a project I've actually done once before and was so happy with, I wanted to document the 2nd attempt. I bought this recycled glass vase from Fred Meyer's garden dept. for less than $10. I estimate them to be about a gallon. These are a perfect size for a bookshelf or windowsill.

I added organic potting soil and created a 45 degree angle slope towards the back of the glass...

Then I added two rocks. The one in the front is for "form." It is possibly a piece of petrified driftwood. You can see the layers/growth rings in the rock. It is smooth and round, and will be the centerpiece of the tank. The one in the back is for "function." It is a very thin, tall, square, and flat rock. I will use this one to hold back a majority of the soil to create a shelf.

Next, I carefully backfilled the "function" rock with more soil...

You can get an idea of the shelf's scale here...

With gravel and water...

I added the water by putting a mist sprayer on a garden hose so as to not disturb the substrate.

Now I'm ready to plant! The last project I did like this had hygrophila corymbosa growing on the shelf, and sagittaria subulata growing in the forefground. I've also added water lettuce, which not only adds an interesting look with the long visible roots, but it serves as a "cover" for the tank which obviously has no top. I have the other glass tube like this one stocked with almost 15 shrimp. Between the shelves and the water lettuce roots, they seem to be very happy living in close quarters. I have the container sitting in a window that gets afternoon sun, and the plants are thriving. I will post pictures of that finished and grown out project soon...
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Algae Grower
Great project!!!

Low tech 20 gallon.
Low tech 4 gallon shrimp haven.
Low tech 6 gallon Betta tank.
...Bit of a low tech freak.....:P
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Algae Grower
Keep those pictures coming! I like the natural look with the potting soil.

For those who don't have Fred Meyer's stores, I've seen interesting potential nano tanks at Wal-Mart in the fake-flower home-decorating section. Inexpensive. They have bags of decorator rocks and sand, too.

I recently picked up what was called a champagne something - jar? I can see where with ice it would hold a big champagne bottle. It is glass. Got this at a garage sale, paid $5. Got a larger, heavier glass "jar" 6-7" across, ~9" tall for $3.99 at a thrift store.

Another thrift store find is a flat bowl about 4" tall, ~9" across, with a gold-painted rim. I've turned it into a table-top fountain with a table-top-type pump, rocks, and spare hornworth, water sprite and snails. The other containers have Red Sea HOB filters (which are humming noisy but when the refrigerator is on, both hums cancel each other out). These taller cylindrical containers have pretty rocks, anubias (nana and petite), java fern, hair grass and whatcha call it grass (dwarf sag, can't remember proper name). I have a 2" grow light suspended over these three nanos. The snails, mostly red rams, looking amazingly amber red in the grow light. They are the only nonplant life I plan to put in these nanos as shrimp kind of make me cringe.... As winter comes on, I may move one or more of these nanos so they get a bit of sunlight, just to see what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode