TBS's Do!Aqua Mini-S (Testing Ground) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

TBS's Do!Aqua Mini-S (Testing Ground)

Hey! So, I think on another thread I mentioned this tank as an ADA Mini-S, but I was apparently not thinking straight, haha. I guess I'm so impressed by the quality of even the Do!Aqua series that I mentally upgraded it. Soon enough, I'll step it up to full ADA status, but for now I'd like to experiment with some things. I plan on this scape changing frequently, so that I can try things out here and leave my larger tanks for more long- term layouts.

I've had some seiryu stone for a while just lying around, and I've always wanted to use this stuff on a layout. So, the pieces I had were pretty large for a Mini-S - I decided to go with a very stone-dominant scape to emphasize the texture of the stone. There are five stones in the layout ranging from 7.5" in length to 2cm in diameter.

In that vein, I wanted just green plants, with maybe a little splash of color. So the flora includes anubias nana 'petite', mini pellia, rotala mini type 2, windelov java fern, needle-leaf java fern, and eleocharis 'belem' - this last in a pathetic quantity that may not survive (looking for some, if anyone has any!). I also added a small bunch of mixed mosses, but I'll be removing it and replacing it with something more professional-looking. Also, I may trim back the roots on the anubias in the center/right foreground and place them more attractively. I might completely replace the tall bunch of anubias with something smaller - I'm not sure. Input?

The substrate is mixed with ADA Amazonia, Fluorite black sand, and the foreground is beach sand with about a 2mm diameter/granule. CO2 is yeast mix, filter is Tom's nano, heater is Hydor mini-heater.

Pic time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

TBS, remind me later to follow up your last private message or email. Forgot which one it was.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Tank looks great. Where do you get these Do!Aqua tanks? I think I might want one for my office! Also what is the light on there? Coralife?

Edit: Never mind about the Do!Aqua. I found them online at ADG.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks!

ADG carries a ton of great stuff. I picked mine up locally, as our LFS carries (some) ADA gear. The light is an Odyssea 27W CF. I picked it up on Ebay for about $40 a couple years ago. It's temporary until I get a replacement - probably an Archaea 27W (or the Ebay equivalent, haha...)
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

I predict an email question asking if I can ship to Canada!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
I predict an email question asking if I can ship to Canada!
Hahaha...nope. I can pick up in Point Roberts or Blaine, WA.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Alright, since I should probably make a post that isn't completely useless towards the aquascaping merits present, I'll go ahead and make a post about the aquascape (e.g. on topic).

I think this scape has merit, more so it's potential where I'm visualizing it while grown in and properly trimmed up. But you totally need to get a Solar Mini S and ditch the whatever-that-thing is!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
Hahaha...nope. I can pick up in Point Roberts or Blaine, WA.
Urgh. I've had bad experiences in Blaine. I used to live in Seattle. So. Yeah.

Have fun with that. Not my responsibility once it's out the door and signed for!
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Have fun with that. Not my responsibility once it's out the door and signed for!
Hahaha..thanks for the heads up. Burnaby is essentially a suburb of Vancouver, so I can pick up in Bellingham, Sumas, and even Seattle.

And just so I'm not jacking the thread (too much), I agree, this tank needs a pendant light, even if it's not a mini-S.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Agreed That'll have to wait for X-mas or perhaps a birthday, however, haha.

I trimmed back the anubias roots and arranged them in a more attractive manner. I also separated the x-mas moss from the taiwan moss and flame moss (stinking LFS moss, grrr!) and tied it to a rock, so it can grow in. Likely to be a slow grower though, with the windelov, moss, and anubias.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

One question. Why not put the little heater in the back behind the plants instead of being so prominently on the glass high up? really detracts from the scape.

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yea i would try to tuck that heater behind the filter or behind the java fern.

very nice scape though. Can't go wrong with seiryu and yours already looks like its been in the tank for a while. I didn't really like my iwagumi when it started because my stones didn't look "weathered" enough.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldar View Post
yea i would try to tuck that heater behind the filter or behind the java fern.

very nice scape though. Can't go wrong with seiryu and yours already looks like its been in the tank for a while. I didn't really like my iwagumi when it started because my stones didn't look "weathered" enough.
Thanks! I have had them in the tank for a few weeks now, so yeah they have a healthy layer of algae. I wanted this one to look almost like a single formation protruding from the ground.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, I liked it but I didn't love it. New incarnation upcoming with Ohko stone and eleocharis 'Belem' It's up now, but I need to adjust some placement a little. I had so much Ohko stone left over, I used some in my 10G with one of my root wood branches. I think it looks pretty cool, even as a decidedly unconventional combination. I think a carpet, the moss, and maybe some very limited stems will finish it off. I'm awaiting a 6-way manifold for my CO2 tank (mwa-ha-ha-ha!!!) so I can have my Mini-S, 10G, and my larger Do!Aqua tank on the same cylinder.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And just because... Here's the 10G I know, it's a crummy AGA tank with gross looking tubes, etc. but I like the hardscape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode