Heather's Fluval Chi--Future shrimp tank redux. Photo and new scape 3.9.11 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok guys, here's the situation. I figured I owed all interested an update, especially cmabrey, as he will eventually be my shrimp supplier.

My aquariums have presently moved to the back burner as I'm car hunting..not to mention holiday hours, but moreso the constant searching for a vehicle. The day after I got back from Texas I had my boyfriend cover a shift for me at one of my two jobs (he's the boss man there so worked for me) and it was raining, people were driving like idiots as they are wont to do in the rain here and he ended up in a wreck that totalled my car. He is and was ok, but the airbags deployed and we all know what that means for an older car. Anyway, with that plus working so much and the new puppy (who was VERY sick, but better after lots of vet visits and needed meds) my aquariums have been pushed aside temporarily. Believe it or not, this one has actually reached an overgrown state!

Hopefully I can find a suitable car soon enough and once holiday hours are done get back to my tanks and get shrimp in this thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Big update, no pictures though.

As long as I've had this tank running I have not been able to figure out WHY I've had such horrible issues with ammonia...until a few days ago. It finally clicked. "Holy shxt...I never washed the substrate!" Yeah. It was recycled from my defunct ten gallon, sat in ziploc baggies in my Saturn's (RIP) trunk for two months and I plunked it in, unwashed, expecting everything to be peachy. Normally I would have known better, but I suppose I was overly excited (and hasty) at the prospect of finally keeping ornamental shrimp that that key factor went out the window.

Anyway, I just finished a total tank breakdown and it's back together now. Complete with the old, and now huge, moss tree. It's got new inert white grave and some haggard decorative stones (will be replaced). I put in my old trooper of a betta, some SafeStart and have my fingers crossed for this thing to finally get going.

Also...any tips on preventing a determined kitty from drinking out of the tank? He loves water so the spray bottle does nothing. I use Worlds Best cat litter and worry that the residue from his paws will get in and break down causing excess nitrates. Plus I know it's not really good for him to drink tank water with ferts and all...
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

a cover for the tank. if there is no cover he might eat the shrimp too.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
a cover for the tank. if there is no cover he might eat the shrimp too.
I can't put a cover on it with the way it's designed. It's a Fluval Chi with a filter cube that sticks out a good deal from the top of the tank. My thought was a large bowl or something upsode down when I wasn't home to physically remove him from the tank, but I tried that and it ended up slowly dribbling water everywhere. As for the tank inhabitants, he's never once shown interest in the betta, he focuses much more viewing on the 27 gallon tank about two feet away from this tank.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Alright folks, I have one single mobile pic of the tank as it stands now:

I like it much better like this as I said, those "fish store typical" rocks will go soon enough, but for now, here it is. Fingers crossed for a quick and painless LEGIT cycle.

EDIT: Ugh. Photobucket killed the image so it looks like poo. Sorry for that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode