Starting a .5 Gallon Nano Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Starting a .5 Gallon Nano Tank

Hi there!

I originally got into the hobby through a Betta Bowl, and I've decided to take my hobby a full circle and go back into the Betta hobby. I work 8-5 M-F from home so I figured it would be a nice addition to my desktop. Also considering it is a 0.5 gallon is it okay if I move it occasionally? For example - take it to my living room, office, room, etc?

Anyways... The reason why I'm starting this post is because I'd like some ideas and tips on what to setup for my nano tank.

This 0.5 tank I bought has no filtration only and LED light; so I was wondering, what would be the BEST setup for real plants in the tank? Low light-no filtration plants? I was thinking Anubis? Also what would you recommend for substrate? And of course I have my Betta in there but can I add any other fish that donít require filtration? Maybe shrimp?

This is what my tank looks like. Right now itís bare until I get some ideas on how to build it. When I do begin working on the tank and need to make serious moves Iíll remove the Betta and put him in a fish container to avoid stressing him. Also if need be I can even put him in my 10 G quarantine tank if the project requires days for water to sit.

Open to ideas!

My 55 Gallon Planted Tank - See Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Algae Grower

Floating plants are your best bet and they'll be best at bio filtration, he'll also enjoy the refuge they offer. Frogbit, salvinia, red root floaters etc
Use inert substrate, black sand would make his colour pop
Shrimp are a no go since he'll eat them
No more fish, maybe a nerite snail
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You do realize that a half gallon is not a good tank for a Betta?

Most consider a 5 gallon tank to be minimum for a single adult Betta.

Too much chance for wild water quality and temperature swings.

A few RCS or cherry shrimp might be OK with careful monitoring.
Anorea likes this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
85 gallon stock tank, "pond"
5g low-tech Java Fern jungle.
2.5g +1.2g satellite stream-clay crypt and Fern tank.
20 GallonH Streamsoil dirt tank
Pendant-hooded, LED A19 bulb lighting.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have some dwarf papyrus growing out of a betta-nano. It's quite stunning:-)

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

Honestly, I would at least try to get him a 2-gallon bowl/tank/vase - and even that is pushing it. But whatever you decide I would go with something like pearlweed and anubias or buce. Also the floating plants are a great idea.
Anorea likes this.

recognize the OODA loop within everything you do
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Please upgrade your betta so a larger tank, they may need less gallons than other fish but still should get 2gs or more. Keeping him in a 0.5 is like keeping a kid in a small dog kennel, it can turn around but can't run/play. All my (20 some) bettas are in their own 2gs and larger tanks with filter, heater, and plenty of live plants.
I use those small glass marina 'betta tanks' like you have in the photo as acclimation containers for new small species fish, never keep anything it it more than an hour.

Please get your fish a heater, bettas are tropical fish and do best in water temperatures of 76-82 (78 being common range). Don't buy those cheap junky 'betta heaters' they tend to over heat and cook fish-or paint peels and kills fish from toxicity issues. Get a 2g or larger tank and a 25-50 watt hydro theo adjustable heater (most commonly recommend heater by betta owners)

If you don't plan on having a filter pleas keep up on water changes, bettas like clean water, he'll be more active for you if water isn't nasty. If you insist on not getting a filter you should get faster growing plants. Floaters such as duckweed, riccia, and salvinia minima are easy to keep and will help absorb ammonia. Lucky bamboo, and anubias is rather slow growing in comparison to the floaters I just listed. Some otehr fast growing plants that are easy to keep include hornwort and anarachis, or if you want a house plant with roots in the tank water pothos (thoroughly rinse soil off roots)
DiegoBedoyaVision likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The health of the fish is my priority. I'm open to upgrading him to a bigger tank, I just wanted something for my desktop. Figured since the store sold it, it would work fine. Either way I can always return it and get a bigger one. Is there any nano tanks you guys recommend for betta? Also back to my first question -- Is it okay to move the tank around my house (obviously not every day but occassionaly)?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoBedoyaVision View Post
The health of the fish is my priority. I'm open to upgrading him to a bigger tank, I just wanted something for my desktop. Figured since the store sold it, it would work fine. Either way I can always return it and get a bigger one. Is there any nano tanks you guys recommend for betta? Also back to my first question -- Is it okay to move the tank around my house (obviously not every day but occassionaly)?
1st rule of fishkeeping: Never trust what a store is trying to sell you.
Seriously, they are there to make a buck off of you in most cases, so consult the interwebs or other hobbyists, not an employee that gets commission for what they sell you.

A 16-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=237065&dateline=14898  54398
55g High Tech, Dutch (Sort of)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Algae Grower

I don't think moving it occasionally would hurt, but you'd want to take most of the weight out of it first, so that you don't break it. Also, that plastic bottle you have your bamboo in head some sharp corners. Betta have very delicate fins, and will rip on anything a nylon would. Like the others said, you should consider a larger, more stable environment for your new buddy. ^_^

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What about something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Deskto...s=fluval+betta

Any other recommendations?
FishRFriendz likes this.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoBedoyaVision View Post
What about something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Deskto...s=fluval+betta

Any other recommendations?
That's exactly what I was gonna recommend. Just add a heater.
puriance likes this.

Fluval Spec V | Aqueon 20g tall | Aqueon 10g | Penn Plax Radius 10g
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Algae Grower

I have seen a couple of those on Craigslist in my area, and was debating on getting a pair to bookshelf my betta's. I'm just going to divide a tank I already have, but they are a great little system.

20 Gallons under the Sea, a Newbie's Adventure, 4.12 Gallon Cube, "The Missing Link"
May all your algae get eaten, and all your scales be slimy.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Algae Grower

I am also in the process of setting up a planted betta tank. I'm actually going with a large bowl (8 gallon). I was originally going to do about 2 gallons unfiltered but going with the larger bowl will be better for my beta and also less work for me. So I just wanted to add to what everyone else is saying and suggest you go with a larger nano tank.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:47 AM
Algae Grower

I also wanted to add that pet stores do all kinds of things that I think are cruel and not a good idea for an animal's well-being. Don't even get me started on those little 3 in 1 betta prisons...

Can someone tell me how to edit my post please?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Algae Grower

Wife keeps one of our bettas in the bathroom with the Marineland Portrait. Stock light stinks for growing plants but a 13w cfl stuck in a walmart clip lamp makes this tank look amazing. Its a 5 gallon and I modified pump to decrease outflow for the bettas liking. This tank requires little maintenance and I don't do anything but a partial water change weekly. My vote goes to a bigger setup. doesn't have to be fancy. 10 gallon tanks are $10 for the rest of the month at petco
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170421_070159[1].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	749025  

Name:	IMG_20170421_070256[1].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	749033  

Name:	IMG_20170421_070336[1].jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	749041  

Short, Sharp, Shock... Dig It

Last edited by Carpathian; 04-21-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: pics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode