Several months ago I came here asking for help with an algae farm GONE WILD.
I got a lot of feedback ranging from H2O2 treatments to ripping out the entire tank and starting from scratch.
I figured I would post a couple followup picture and describe what I did in the hopes that someone else can learn from my trials.
The takeaway? Do your research before H2O2 (it will MURDER some of your plants), loooong blackouts are AMAZING, and you don't necessarily need to throw in some dubious chemical stuff to solve an algae problem (given patience).
Apologies for taking these pictures with a potato.
Beginner creates a 10G monster - please send help
Dec 19, A Cry for Help
This was the picture I submitted with my original post.
Dec 20, Human Sized Tears for my Dwarf Baby Tears (aka A New Hope)
This was roughly a day after an extensive H2O2 treatment.
I removed 50% of the water and treated everything with a 3mL/gal H2O2 (purchased at 3%).
Waited 30 min with pump off, added water back and turned everything on.
DBT nuked, cyanobacteria nuked, GHA... chillin.
Dec 26, Return of the Cyanobacteria
Yeah so a week later the cyanobacteria is having a great time.
Jan 4, A Week with the Dark Side
I went on vacation and just killed the lights for a week.
I didn't feel like adding biocides and whatnot to the tank and I was out of town anyway so...
Looking good! Algae gone, DBT unhappy but oh well.
March 2, A New Beginning
At this point, my DBT has never rooted properly despite recovering so I transplanted a bunch of the Monte Carlo from the back left of the aquarium and I'm just going to use that as a carpet. It's filling in... slowly.