Clare's 4 Gal Nano Tank (Lots of Pics) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
UG is really sensitive as well. If you are planting it in brand new aquasoil that is still leaching some ammonia that can affect the plant. I have also read some where that cleaning the filter to maintain adequate flow rate is essential for UG to get all the necessary nutrients from water column. Since your's is a new setup, I doubt that is the problem but FYI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Planted Member

its coming up pretty good Clare!
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Mott - ahem, yes I did. I was so afraid I'd kill the whole thing if I picked it apart. I figured it would grow if I just put it on top. Had no idea. Maybe it's too late now? What should I do? There was aquasoil stuck to the roots when I got it and I use aquasoil also. I don't know anything about UG so if it needs to be picked apart... maybe I should try. But it looks like it could start growing. It's getting slightly greener, and longer.
post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaybiswas View Post
UG is really sensitive as well. If you are planting it in brand new aquasoil that is still leaching some ammonia that can affect the plant. I have also read some where that cleaning the filter to maintain adequate flow rate is essential for UG to get all the necessary nutrients from water column. Since your's is a new setup, I doubt that is the problem but FYI.
And yes, I was wondering about that! There was pretty high ammonia in there for a while, but I did not read anywhere that ammonia can hurt plants. Its down to practically 0 now. I'll adjust the flow so it's going around the tank to the most possible extent now.
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Go ahead rip It apart and
Replant as individual as you can handle.
Don't worry if it dies, it probably won't but if it does I'll send you more free of charge

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok!
So I took your advice and replanted the entire thing.

And I think it looks great. I love this plant. It really needs some tlc but I have the diy co2 and high light and high current, and the aquasoil is settling down. I think I just have to wait now. All the dead pieces floated around the tank and got caught on all the not dead pieces. So it looks a little bit like a whost aquarium, but there were still plenty of live roots to put in. What do you guys think?
Plus I got rid of the HM and thinned out the other stems. I like it better now, at least I will if it fills in.

And yes I will clean the glass again and the filter sponge at the next water change.
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

that looks so much better!!! nice job! i bet the UG will fill in nicely too. you'll start to notice freshie little sproutlings in a week or two i bet. i did the same thing with some hairgrass.

btw, i put in a couple nodes of blyxa into my nano, and the one i put in last week melted. im using amazonia 'powder', so im wondering if the ammonia issue that someone previously mentioned is/was the culprit.
post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks. Does anybody use Excel with UG? Does it work well?
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The UG is still alive today. Looks maybe even a little greener. But my question is about my diy CO2. It is that plastic nutrafin ladder system where the bubble spends a lot of time in the water winding up a plastic maze before getting to the top of the tank. Well now my bubbles are coming out from the hose on the bottom rather large, and are getting pretty small by the time they reach the top of the aquarium. What is going on with that? Is that a good thing? Is more CO2 getting into the water that way? Also there is some white stuff growing on the bottom where the CO2 is coming out of the hose. Know any way to get rid of it?
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know enough about DIY Co2, never tried it but I believe Excel should be fine with UG.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:12 AM
Planted Member

Do you have the outtake of the filter facing the glass in the back? If I have the outtake facing towards the front all the plants start flying around and its total caos... its a nice filter but maybe too big for this size tank, what do you think? I really want to get lily pipes for my tank but the 17mm size is for way bigger tanks and it probably wont fit the 4 gallon finnex

Cheap costs more...
post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegosaenz View Post
Do you have the outtake of the filter facing the glass in the back? If I have the outtake facing towards the front all the plants start flying around and its total caos... its a nice filter but maybe too big for this size tank, what do you think? I really want to get lily pipes for my tank but the 17mm size is for way bigger tanks and it probably wont fit the 4 gallon finnex
you can get nano pipes. that should fit in a finnex 4g

-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate

post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Algae Grower

You can put an airstone or broken chopstick at the end of your co2 hose.
post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Heh, Diego, I like your sig. And yes, my flow seems almost too strong. But the plants don't seem to mind. I hope the fish will be ok. The box says 96 gallons per hour! wow. I used both spraybar pieces. That made the flow less strong throughout the bar. But still too strong for a betta. We'll see what happens. Right now I'm hoping the UG will green up. I have my spraybars pointed up slightly and outward.
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Planted Member

Thanks Clare :P
But will they fit the tubbing? it says 12mmx16mm and the nano pipes say 13mm, will it fit the finnex canister?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTeal View Post
you can get nano pipes. that should fit in a finnex 4g

Cheap costs more...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode