Clare's 4 Gal Nano Tank (Lots of Pics) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, I will try all of those. And I just got some HC and roseafolia in the mail today! They are a nice addition to the tank... But with no substrate it still looks kind of silly. I can't wait until my substrate gets here!

Still debating as to what kind of fish I should put in here long term. Dwarf microrasboras seem so tiny. Do they have personality?
Green neon tetras seem like they might be too fragile, since this is a new tank and I'm new to nano tanks and its only my second planted tank at all.
I will post pictures tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh, I'm using Seachem Flourish instead of trace. Is that okay? And also if I want to get RCS someday in the near future is that okay for them too?
Thanks
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

2 pics from today.

I can't wait until my substrate gets here! Should arrive by Wednesday. I also bought a goldfish bowl for the betta to go in while the substrate is acclimating to the tank. Did a 50% water change last night because ammonia was at .25. No Nitrites yet.
post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Is it Flourish Comprehensive? Because that is the same as trace.
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It is! I wasn't sure, I just wanted to see if it was.
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So anyway, I've begun to like this betta and I am thinking of trying more plants first to alter the rate of flow in the tank. I added 2 small vals (yes I know they get long), baby tears, and I have red root floaters and UG coming in the mail. And I know some of these won't alter the flow much, but I'm going to go with it and see what happens little by little.
I'm still waiting on my substrate and it should be here by tomorrow!!!

Here is a pic of the tank today:

I just checked the pH and its about 8! So I just put in the DIY CO2. However it says it takes 2-10 hours to start working on the instructions. It's there in the back and you can hardly see it. I may look into a nano co2 setup though instead of DIY.
The plants seem to be doing pretty well. I'm dosing excel every other day and flourish trace every other day. The HC isn't doing so great anymore though so that's partly why I'm setting up the CO2.
post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Planted Member

update!
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks.
So I took a pic yesterday morning:

And everything seemed to be doing ok.
I had just gotten a bucket from Home Depot and before that I didn't do any water changes because I didn't want to put water straight from the tap in with chlorine. So anyway, the ammonia was extremely high. I got it down to 1.5 by today. And I've had the light on 8-12 hours per day (I need a timer!), I'm growing algae (which doesn't bother me),
and some of my plants are dying. I let the HC sit in the water for too long with no substrate so I'll have to buy more probably, and the UG is dead on one side, partly probably because I picked that part up to see if I could move it (stupid idea... that's why you plant plants, and not uproot them every day, I learned the hard way).

The CO2 is working pretty well, but nothing's pearling. I'm thinking of the GLA nano CO2 kit. Also the vals aren't looking too good, but I was using excel and I just stopped. No more excel so the vals grow nicely. I really hope the ammonia goes down soon! 3x water changes every day!

Edit: And the betta is in a goldfish bowl.
post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That's a nice little tank! Aqua soil will leach ammonia for a few weeks in my experience.
Don't worry if the UG looks like it's dying, it's most likely transitioning into the immersed form.
Lt it run it's course, the roots are plentiful so they should bounce back soon.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah that makes me feel a whole lot better. I was just going to let it do it's thing anyway, because everything I'm doing is new and no matter what I'm learning. By the time it's ready for shrimp there will be an algae feast in there!
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 05:40 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

lookin good.
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Planted Member

Looking good! I wouldn't go with those small co2 systems, they are way more expensive in the long run, I got my Co2 system with an Azoo Regulator and a 5lb tank filled for 155 bucks, maybe is not so cheap right now, but im sure I wont have to re-fill it it another 5 months so its worth it, just keep looking at craigslist, I found a guy that was selling a 10lb and a dual stage plus accessories for 230. For the cylinders talk to your local welding stores and fire equipment, that's where I got mine. Good luck!
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I decided against a small CO2 system. I am planning on now buying the parts separately for a bigger one, after reading DarkBlade's tutorial.

It has been a week since I added the aquasoil and the UG, and things are starting to look better. I just started with fertilizers a few days ago so things are only starting to look better. It's a huge difference with the fertilizers. I am now using seachem flourish nitrogen, iron, potassium, trace, and (temporarily) fleet (*) phosphorus. And I got my camera working! Although for the FTS my webcam did a better job.

This is the UG. It was yellowing, yellowing, yellowing. When I added the fertilizers it really started growing taller, but it was still yellow, and then I got the phosphorus and now it's actually very light green. But still not looking so good. It is growing taller by the hour (just got the phosphorus last night ) and not greener. But I guess we'll see what happens. I really like it. Even if it's half decomposed.
Still using the DIY CO2, plants that I trim pearl where I cut them but that's all. There is a tinnnny bit of HC on the bottom left. I hope it starts growing. Some of it looks dead, but a few pieces look healthy.

Let me know what you think.
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You should try planting the UG more individually so the roots get established. It looks like you just laid the mat on top of the substrate

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower

I've read that you should lower your photo-period for new UG to establish roots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode