The Planted Tank Forum banner

My 2.5 gallon tank started leaking.

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Nigel95 
#1 · (Edited)
Of all the tanks I have, the nicest looking one with my Crystal Black Shrimp.

:frown2:

I came home to a slowly spreading puddle of water on the living room floor. It's a little standard 2.5 glass and silicone tank, I never had a tiny one leak before.

Luckily I've got a 1.3 gallon Nonny's Biscotti container that I use for fish transfer and rinsing filter media. In a couple hours of moving and switching substrate, and not all of the plants would fit of course , but the shrimp seem OK with the new tank. It's easier to see them.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The leak is definitely from one of the base edge seams, and it was leaking at a good rate. The switch over is already done, and the 2.5 had to be emptied, I had no choice in this. It will be resurrected as a rimless soon enough.

I've built a 22 gallon cube tank many years back from 1/4" plate glass, so I have a bit of experience building tanks. I'm just glad the shrimp weren't overly bothered by the change to new digs. I gave them a 2"x2" patch of diatom and green algae off of the outdoor tank. They're busy picking away at it, like they like.

#4 ·
Update: One of the 1.3gallon Nonny's Biscotti containers to the rescue!

Funny how quickly you can get a tank broken down when it's leaking. :surprise: It's not quite the footprint of the 2.5 gallon but with the slight upward and out taper it's actually a bit roomy up top The Crystal Shrimp transferred like champs and they're eating and enjoying their new digs.

Just to give you an idea what my satellite tank is. It is fed from the 'vent' hole in the AQ20's impeller, a piece of silicone airline tubing does the feeding and the Tupperware tub overflows back into the 'tank' with a filter sponge covered 3/8th's dia, vinyl tube. 2.6 gallons altogether.

Attachments

#5 ·
And I have berried shrimp.. There's now two female carrying eggs

The rest of the shrimp in the upper tub are growing larger and I expect if this continues there will be little ones galore.

Attachments

#6 ·
And we have babies! The little sphere thingy to the baby shrimp's lower left is an Ostracod. And it's tiny, maybe less than 0.5 mm?

I found about 6 more youngsters later today, funny how you see their colors suddenly, how it stands out when you know what to look for.

Attachments

#7 ·
Another photo. I'm not going to apologize for the algae and biofilm in this tank. It's feeding the adults and babies just fine. It looks like I underestimated their numbers, I have about 8 that I can see, and I think they're past their first molt too. There is 5 youngsters previously rehomed with 4 adults, to their newish 5 gallon tank.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.