NEW 5 Gallon Jar Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

NEW 5 Gallon Jar Tank

Hi everyone,

This week I started a new nano tank while deconstructing my other two 10 gal tanks, this jar can hold about 5 gallon but with substrate it about 4 gallon. Right now it is stocked with 5 pygmy cories, Red Tiger Lotus, Monte Carlo, Aponogeton Crispus, and Hydroc. Triparta, some kind of crypt or small amazon sword, and a large driftwood. The pump is something I took from a 10 gallon filter, so it has a strong current that I had to add a baffle to divert water flow. I took cycled water and substrate from my previous tank so I believe my tank is stabilizing pretty well. Since this is a pretty small tank, I'm planning on doing 10% to 15% water change (6 cups of water) twice a week with drip acclimation. Still trying to figure out how to lower the Gh, I was going to add distilled water to my water change. My water parameter is:

Gh: 180 ppm
Kh: 60 ppm
ph: 7
No2: 0
No3: 40
Temp: 70-72F

Earlier this week I had about .5ppm No2 but is now 0 and from my research this looks like the last cycle, if I'm wrong, please correct me. I'm thinking of adding some Blue Velvet shrimps once my tank has been up for at least 2 to 3 weeks or until I can get parameters to become stable. I'm not thinking about breeding these shrimps to a large count but if they start growing then I'll think about getting a larger size tank. I'll post pictures this weekend and maybe some of that unknown plant so it can be ID. Let me know If i'm doing something wrong or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 03:08 PM
Algae Grower

Where the heck did you get a 5 gallon jar? That's huge! That's like a brewing carboy!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was wondering about the five gallon jar also. You could put a lot of pickles in a five gallon jar. The jar must of come from Texas. Everything is bigger here, you know. Haha.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually got the jar from Tj Maxx for $12. It is pretty big, I thought it was a 10 gallon at first till i googled some calculations. The jar is actually a terrarium jar, has a nice top like one of those apothecary glass jars. I'll be fixing the tank up a bit today, so hopefully I will remember to take pictures.
Blnd likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Algae Grower

Also, when it comes to shrimp, I've found that they fare better in a much older tank. I think it has something to do with older tanks having a nice biofilm and a more diverse algae population. I've lost a batch of very nice jet black neocaridinas in a tank that was nearly a month old (fortunately that color wasn't considered very desirable so it wasn't expensive despite its rarity). In my experience shrimp have always been rather finicky things. I really like them, and I enjoy seeing one appear out of the vegetation every now and again, but they're just too good at hiding.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Algae Grower

In the stocking you said you have 4 pygmy cories? The recommended minimum is usually 10 gallons, and with something as small as a jar and with those dimensions I don't think they'd do very well. You'd probably be better off with some shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@justinmo: I didn't realize they needed at least 10 gallons. I was going by the inch per gallon rule, they are pretty lively and have been eating well. I'll avoid buying anymore pygmy cories then and just keep a stock of shrimps.

I think my filter is too strong for the jar, so I was thinking of getting a different filter or getting a small sponge filter. I do have an air pump, is there good sponge filter that perfect for nano tanks?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:18 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormx22 View Post
I think my filter is too strong for the jar, so I was thinking of getting a different filter or getting a small sponge filter. I do have an air pump, is there good sponge filter that perfect for nano tanks?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LMQCW2

Fluval Spec V
20g tall
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some sad news today
Last night I redid my tank cause I wanted to add fluval stratum in there and rebury the driftwood (pygmies were placed in a separate container). I replanted everything and even manage to fit a small plastic container for sand (cause I know the pygmies would love sand). I tested the water parameters and they were about the same as before, I don't know why, but almost all(3 out 4) died within the hours. I have two possible theories as to why they died, 1. while redoing my tank, I stirred the substrate too much and accidentally released nitrate/ammonia gas bubbles into the water or 2. I dosed a new gallon of water with API quick start, misunderstanding it as water conditioner and the pygmies died from chemical tap water. either way, I have one pygmy cory that pretty active but lies flat on his back. I haven't fed him in fear of adding more ammonia to the water and I don't even know if he could eat. I don't think he going to make it but for now the only living thing in that jar are plants. Hopefully the jar stabilize soon, any recommendations or tips from here on out?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:57 PM
Algae Grower

I've had bad luck with pygmy cories (even though they're ridiculously cute)... got mine from Petworld... how long have you had yours and where did you get them?

If you're looking to stock with something different, a betta would be 1 option. You could probably put a few endlers in there if bettas aren't your thing. Endlers are probably safer for shrimp.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Fishbeard I had my pygmies for a week and I got them at petco. They were pretty healthy and very active. I think if I hadn't messed up they would have lived a long time.

So I figured out what happened, stated before I used api quick start as a water conditioner, cause it stated on the bottle "allows Instant fish*" and I didn't see the star. Afterwards I reread the bottle after the deaths and it not water conditioner, it just adds bacteria. And the reason it didn't effect the pygmies as fast is because I only added a gallon of new tap untreated water the rest was old water. I should have probably read the label more carefully. But I did add a guppy fry to test the water, of course after 24 hours and leaving the air pump filter on overnight. So far the fry is still alive so I will add more guppies
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Everyone,

I thought I do a little update on the readings of my jar. All my kits came in so I can do an official measurements. Yay! I think i'm going to change the plan and go with crystal bee shrimp, instead of trying to bring up the ph and kh. Accidentally used Fluval stratum as substrate so ph is going to be way down. Here are some pictures of my jar. I have it on a lazy susan part so I can turn it around 360.

PH:6.4
Gh: 10
Kh: 4
Ammonia: 0 ppm
No2: .50 ppm
No3: 20 ppm
TDS:526
Temp: 68-72F

Plant Stock:
Hornwort
Monte Carlo
Red Tiger Lily
Amazon Micro sword
aponogeton
Hydroctyl Triparta
Flame Moss
some kind of crypt

Bump:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170210_205723.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	721538  

Name:	20170210_205705.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	721546  

Name:	20170210_205731.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	721554  

Name:	20170210_205753.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	721562  

Name:	20170210_205744.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	721570  

Name:	20170210_205656.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	721578  

Name:	20170210_205636.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	721586  

Name:	20170210_205812.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	721594  

Name:	20170210_205646.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	721602  

Name:	20170210_205922.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	721610  

Econde and FishRFriendz like this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Having a slight dilemma here, with my ph and kh down from using partial fluval stratum, I'm thinking of switching plans and getting crystal bee shrimps instead of blue velvet shrimps. My only problem with that is that bee shrimps require more care and strict water parameters that I don't know if I have the time or experience to do. Or stick some crushed coral in the filter and try with blue velvets. Luckily I;m not getting the shrimp till my jar cycles but any advice will be greatly appreciated!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:15 PM
Planted Member

I've read that the substrate will probably wear out after a year or so. So unless you have an RO unit or other consistent supply of soft water you should stick to neocaridina. They can handle 6.4pH and your gh/kh are good for them already.

A jar will be difficult to deal with when they start multiplying. I'm already prioritizing ease of 'catching' for my shrimp tank upgrade. Low and square as possible.

Fluval Spec V
20g tall
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@FishRFriendz Thanks for the advice, I'm going to stick with the blue velvets, which I am getting today! Yay!

I added some crushed coral in my filter, but I might have underestimated their power to change ph. I will be doing a drip acclimation of 1 drop per min, and very slowly acclimate the shrimp to my water. Question, How long can blue velvets or cherries last in a bag? I will be at work to pick them up and it will be probably another 4 hours before I get to my tank. I brought with me my air pump just in case I need to add some oxygen into the water. I will not be feeding them at all and the person giving them to me will hopefully add some plants for them to cling on. Any advice on blue velvet or cherries will be greatly appreciated!

My jar parameters are:
PH:7.6
Gh: 10
Kh: 5
Ammonia: 0 ppm
No2: 0 ppm
No3: 0 ppm
TDS:330
Temp: 72F

Tags
blue velvet shrimp, nano aquascape, new aquarium, pygmy cories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode