The Planted Tank Forum banner

Bookshelf 6.6g Natural Tank

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bacon5 
#1 ·
I fought with this tank for so long, and let it sit in a half-hearted mess for a long time. I wasn't happy with anything about it (driftwood was the wrong size/shape, substrate was horrible, the stones I picked out just clashed) and then between holidays, a new year, work, and getting sick, it just sulked in the corner of my studio.

But no more! It's not the best scape, it's very rag-tag, and I would have done almost all of it different, but in the end I got it in the right direction. Since my other tank is more of a mini landscape, I wanted this to be more of a natural aquatic environment.

Plants are mostly java fern, with a few crypt species. Current stock is about 20 wild variety RCS sold as feeders at the LFS for 10/$2. I am planning on adding a dither fish probably a micro rasbora or pygmy cory, and eventually transfering my betta into this tank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice, looks like you've got a solid foundation. I'd recommend Rasboras over Cories though, if you're going for more "natural". The Betta should be fine with them, especially if you get enough. The tank looks larger than 7 gallons though, so you did well to create space. You could fit a decent amount of micro rasboras in there (15 or so)

#3 ·
Thank you. The proportions of the tank make it feel more like a 10g honestly. I tried to do my best to create a lot of different hiding spaces and visual blocks to keep my betta from overly tormenting whatever I put in there.

I'm actually leaning towards cories. It's small for them, but I think the floor plan will be alright, and I've always wanted cories but never had the right set-up. The tank I am removing my betta from will be a school of microrasbora since it's a really odd vertical layout.

#6 ·
Picked up four pygmy cories today! Four more next week.

I was in a car accident on the way home (really minor, oncoming car came into my lane and my brakes locked up) so I was so worried these guys would be really stressed. I had a pretty slow acclimation for them to make up for it and they are already exploring the tank with the lights out.

Really hoping they stay healthy and happy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Picked up four pygmy cories today! Four more next week.

I was in a car accident on the way home (really minor, oncoming car came into my lane and my brakes locked up) so I was so worried these guys would be really stressed. I had a pretty slow acclimation for them to make up for it and they are already exploring the tank with the lights out.

Wow glad it sounds like no one got hurt! Very nice tank, as mentioned I like how you created a sense of space. Also Pygmy cories have got to be some of my favorite fish. Can't wait to see it progress!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.