The Planted Tank Forum banner

1.1 Gallon Vase

11K views 64 replies 14 participants last post by  JAMarlow 
#1 ·
Well finally decided to write a journal about my planted vase. It's still a work in progress and is currently cycling. I started with a really small vase at first. About 7" tall 3" wide.

Then I wanted to build something a bit bigger. Found a vase from Walmart. 8" tall and about 5.5 wide.

And so began another addiction. I can blame/ thank @wakka987 . I got inspired after seeing his walstad bowl diary. So I picked up some rocks from my LFS. Surprisingly I chose exactly a pound of rocks.

Yea I experimented on a syringe and made a very small air powered filter.
https://vimeo.com/199415987

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Shrimp! I know that I will really have to watch my water parameters with this nano tank. But I've always wanted shrimp and I know there are a bunch of sellers here on this forum for not so much $$. Still currently cycling the tank. Its kind of cycling on its own. Aside from me changing some water out every other day to help it along. Eventually I will add some tourmaline balls and some alder cones. I would like to get some RCS.

#4 ·
Ended up ordering a nano hob filter. To my surprise, it fits! Also got my hands on some red root floaters.

Here's a couple photos for size reference.

#7 ·
It's really small, the sponge filter that came with it is probably an inch and a half by 2 inches. Probably 2-3 inch plants would fit back there.

Wow! That nano hob is awesome! Can you send me a link?
PM'd !

#11 ·
Yea it's fairly quiet. Every now and then, a bubble will get into the impeller. Yea I ordered some fluval pre sponges, it was still a bit big on the intake. Ended up using some wiretie to close the top of the presponge off.

#15 ·
Just an update on the vase. Added some cholla wood. Wrapped it with java moss. Also changed out the light for a 6000k led cob light. Ludwigia completely melted, I'll try to replant some more down the road. Changed out about 90% of the water. Anyway here's a picture.

#16 ·
Changed out some water, added some more ludwigia, cabomba and some bacopa. Used my gf's phone to take the photo. Since I'm not using a heater, my gf agreed that I can put it in our bedroom [emoji16] . stays about 72-74 degrees in there. Also received my confirmation from @TropicalAquarist tracking delivery for my shrimp I ordered from him. Should be in by this upcoming Monday! Can't wait.

Sorry for the reflections.

#19 ·
My package o' shrimp came in yesterday. I'll try to post updated pictures of the vase later today.

The adults are going to go in my community tank and the peewees will go into my vase.

#24 · (Edited)
Well I have some red root floaters, also floating some hydroctle sp japan and what I think is a hygro trimming? The red root floaters really do not like turbulence, they appear to do better with nearly standing water. I noticed that about half started melting but are quickly coming back. I have a decent amount over my 10 gallon that is growing like mad, since I minimized the flow of the filter for my betta.

Oh also duckweed. I know a lot of hobbyists don't like duckweed, but for my vase, I honestly don't mind it.

#26 ·
So far so good. Just chugging along nicely. Every now and then, it's fairly strong for it size, so the whirlpool it creates drags down air bubbles into the impeller. That's about the only noise you will hear from it every now and then. I lowered the intake flow as much as I possibly could. Impeller gets warm from the outside but nothing serious. Also takes a bit to prime it. Fluval sponge pre filter doesn't fit on it if you're wondering haha. I'll keep you guys posted on how the filter is chugging along or if it quits.

#29 ·
So far so good. They grow quickly! At first they were melting but now they're starting to cover everything. I had to take some out. I'll take a photo of the floaters when I get home.

#31 ·
Well I must be doing something right, I saw some shrimp molt on the intake sponge. Can't really take a good picture of it. Water parameters are PH 7.4, GH 5, KH 6, TDS 197, Nitrates ~5 and I'm not sure what my temps are. I don't have a thermometer in there.

#33 ·
Very sparingly. I believe that I have enough biofilm and algae for the little shrimp to feed on. I don't even have powdered food. I did crush up half of an algae stick to put in there last week. That's about it.

#38 ·
I did a very partial water change yesterday. Also removed some of the floating plants. Duckweed and red root floaters seem to be prolific. Noticed a couple more full molts around the vase. Everything thing seems to be working well so far. Don't have any updated pictures as of yet. Might post some more sometime this week.

I'm also thinking about getting some powdered shrimp food. Anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at Bacter AE.

#39 ·
I did a very partial water change yesterday. Also removed some of the floating plants. Duckweed and red root floaters seem to be prolific. Noticed a couple more full molts around the vase. Everything thing seems to be working well so far. Don't have any updated pictures as of yet. Might post some more sometime this week.

I'm also thinking about getting some powdered shrimp food. Anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at Bacter AE.

If you want someone to take some red root off your hands I would be happy to[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#52 ·
Dirt capped with blasting sand will work wonders. Plus I'm only growing easy plants in there. Java moss, bacopa monierri, crypts, cabomba and hydroctle sp Japan. Sorry I'm very bad with plant id's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.