• 3 Post By Trnt
  • 1 Post By bacon5
  • 1 Post By shhh
  • 2 Post By Wendy1B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is 12 gallons nano?

Hi, I'm planning on purchasing a 12 gallon Edge soon and feel kind of dumb asking, but is that size considered a nano?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its all relative. To a 1.5 gallon, I would say no, to a 200 gallon, yes. But generally, I would say on this forum a 10g and under is considered nano.

Why do you ask?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes
akd200 likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ehhh sort of, no set in stone guidelines, but I think under 15G you can probably consider something a nano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:39 AM
Algae Grower

In my personal opinion, <10 is nano, 10-20 is micro and then from 20-39 is this weird limbo space, 40 -70 is a "regular" sized aquarium. From there to about 200 are large aquariums, 200 to 600 are big aquariums, and more than that is a super tank. This is coming from someone who has a 5, 10, 17 and is setting up a 112 as he types this.

It's all relative like tropicalmackdaddy said. If you're wondering for the purpose of flora/fauna stocking options, I'd say looking for "nano" options would be a safe bet.
akd200, vig and Wendy1B like this.

Trent
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What no arowana in the 12???

I mean, 'Nanocubes' are 12-28 gallons, and we know that JBJ cant lie since that would be false advertising

More seriously, 'nano fish' are what you are going to want to keep in a 12 gallon. This includes tetras, rasboras, dwarf cichlids, corydoras, etc.
Wendy1B likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Algae Grower

I consider my edge to be an a nano tank especially because of the layout. It has more vertical swimming space than horizontal swimming space, which isn't useful to most fish. This greatly limits the kind of fish I feel I can put in there.
Wendy1B likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Why, I was asking because I wanted to know if I get to hang with the cool nano folks on this forum, of course! ? Also, for stocking recommendations. Plus, the JBJ use of the term was confusing to me considering how big their nano cubes go up in size, and I just didn't want to be using terms improperly. I've never had anything smaller than a 55 gallon before, and I've been out of the hobby for a while. So from my perspective a 12 gallon seems tiny. I'm super excited to dive into the world of small scale!
bacon5 and Maclyri like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnt View Post
In my personal opinion, <10 is nano, 10-20 is micro and then from 20-39 is this weird limbo space, 40 -70 is a "regular" sized aquarium. From there to about 200 are large aquariums, 200 to 600 are big aquariums, and more than that is a super tank. This is coming from someone who has a 5, 10, 17 and is setting up a 112 as he types this.

It's all relative like tropicalmackdaddy said. If you're wondering for the purpose of flora/fauna stocking options, I'd say looking for "nano" options would be a safe bet.
Are you going to do a tank journal on the 112? I'd love to see what you do with it! (I'm really a big tank lady at heart, just have space limitations in my current home I'm working with).
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy1B View Post
Are you going to do a tank journal on the 112? I'd love to see what you do with it! (I'm really a big tank lady at heart, just have space limitations in my current home I'm working with).
I actually do have a tank journal but I need to update it. Last week I spent trying to polish out some of the scratches in the tank while I was waiting for the rest of my fittings to come in. I'm going to need to upgrade from the polishing compounds I have to some sandpaper though because there's some deep ones.

Trent
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:21 PM
Gad
Planted Tank Obsessed

The answer is yes. Generally most consider 15 gallons and under a Nano, but there is no set rule.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #287

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalmackdaddy View Post
Its all relative. To a 1.5 gallon, I would say no, to a 200 gallon, yes. But generally, I would say on this forum a 10g and under is considered nano.

Why do you ask?
This
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:22 AM
Algae Grower

What no arowana in the 12??? ROFL!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode