Mini-M Lighting - Help Please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mini-M Lighting - Help Please!

I know there are quite a few threads on lighting a Mini-M (5.5g), but many of the lighting fixtures mentioned have old links or reference products no longer made.

I'm trying to find a good looking light for a new Mini-M, Excel only setup. I'm open to hanging something or having something on the stand, but would like it to look nice when it's all put together. I'm holding off making a decision on the stand until I know what lighting I'll be using. My target is around 18W, but could probably handle more if I could raise it up a bit.

I know the 2x13W Ottlight is an option, but I'd really prefer not "wrapping" the lights around the side of the tank like you need to with the 2x13W approach. (Although now as I'm typing I wonder if they would work in a back to front config instead of left to right? Hmmmm.......)

Anyway, I'm open to about anything that is currently available on the market, and am not against modifying something if need be. Again, sitting or hanging are both viable options.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
I don't "wrap" my lights around anything

My Ott fixtures sit behind the tank.

There is a pic from early in the tanks life here...

my mini-m
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the confirmation that they would work that way. I'd seen a couple of folks using the "flip up" "task" Ott lights with one on each side, and they kind of wrap around the tank. I'm trying to get more of an "open" look, and the way you have them helps with that. It also looks like the particular light you are using is a little bit of a smaller shape factor as well.

I'm going to look around and see if I can find this in black in a store somewhere. Something like this going from back to front might be the ticket!

Thanks for the input!

Tom

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom855 View Post

I'm going to look around and see if I can find this in black in a store somewhere. Something like this going from back to front might be the ticket!

Thanks for the input!

Tom

Tom,

That is the light I have... only difference is the color (I bought them from Ott directly
during a 2 for the price of 1 sale) Keep your eye on the Ott website (or sign up for their mailing list), they run specials frequently.

BTW, this is the stand I have http://http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3732+18529&pcatid=18529 plenty of room behind the tank for the lights

HTH

Larry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool! That fixture looks like a great choice. Ott has a buy 2, get 20% off as of now, but then of course you have to pay shipping. Office Depot has them for $42 each, but then there is tax. Regardless, they are easy to handle, don't need a light bar with them, and can easily be adjusted heightwise.

I couldn't get to the Dr. F&S link. Can you tell me about how much room you need on the stand behind the tank so they don't overhang the stand? It's hard to tell how much room you need for that bendy arm thing.

With that measurement I can start to think about the stand.

Thanks again!

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode