could really use help with algae and monte carlo - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
could really use help with algae and monte carlo

Hi everyone,

I set up a nano tank, my first planted aquarium, about 3 months ago and have been dealing with algae ever since. I have a carpet of Monte Carlo growing (very slowly for some reason) and from a very early stage have been trying to rid the algae in the tank and as soon as I think its on its way out it spreads like wildfire. I have a large amount of fuzzy green algae on the carpet, hair algae growing in the back around the rock, and algae grows on the glass pretty quickly.

The monte carlo also hasn't really grown that much lately. I tried trimming it to see if I could get rid of the algae that way but I am worried that it isn't really growing back or spreading much. For a 3 month old tank I feel like the monte carlo should be spread and grown way more. I also have a little bit of DHG scattered around and am not sure its spreading at all. Most of the monte carlo is brown and I am not sure it is growing:/.

I have ada aqua soil, Co2 injected about 1 bubble every 2 seconds, 4 small fish, a snail and used to have amanos but they were tearing out my carpet so I took them out. I change the water every 4 days and siphon out as much algae as possible. I use RO water, have an LED light fixture (high lights) that run along with the co2 for about 7 hours. I drop one drop of ADA green gain every day to promote more growth, not sure if its helping or not. I also just dosed algae control because I took the amano shrimp out and am waiting results on that. Nothing else. Have been trying to get rid of this algae and promote my carpet for a while. Ill post several pictures starting from early stages.

The ones at the top are the most recent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4889.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	671786  

Name:	IMG_4887.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	671794  

Name:	IMG_4886.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	671802  

Name:	IMG_4891.jpg
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	671810  

Name:	IMG_4890.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	671818  

Name:	IMG_4888.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	671826  

Name:	IMG_4687.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	671834  

Name:	IMG_4555.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	671842  

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
could really use help with algae and monte carlo

If there is algae that means there is an imbalance. I doubt flow is the issue because the tank is pretty small. The main culprits would be the amount of CO2 you are injecting relative to your light levels. Do you have any referance for how much CO2 your pumping in like a drop checker or something? If not you are pretty much going in blind. Also I would suspect the light is probably pumping out more than you need. You only have short plants that in reality won't need that much light. Try lowering the intensity on your light.
I would also think fertilisers would be an issue since you are not really dosing them, but your plant load is pretty minimal so you probably can survive on just the substrate and fish nutrients. But if the plants are failing to grow later down the line, nutrients would be a prime suspect.
Also, I would advise you to take out the Neons the tank looks too small for them and they should be kept in groups of like 8+. Maybe considering getting some RCS to help munch some algae, also they are cute.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:05 AM
Planted Member
Specifically, what light are you using?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode