ADA Mini-M Shrimp Journal - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

haha in the same tank as the HC I had marsilea minuta. Great minds think alike! I had a much better experience with this plant than the HC. However, it took FOREVER to get going.

This is as good as mine carpeted in like 6 months... http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/P4210012.jpg

But it never have algae issues and was always green. Just give it some time and it will grow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

niceeeee!!

I figured if I'm just doing excel every once in a while, Marsilea minuta would be a perfect plant for the situation. Hard part now is finding some nice looking rocks. I'm going to go check out the landscaping rock yards

Do!Aqua Mini-M Shrimp Tank
*20gal Long CRS Farm
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

M. minuta is a great plant and in my experience doesn't take much to get going. I got mine from this to this in just over two months. Granted that was with the same light over a tank that's about 2g smaller, but I started out with DIY Co2 and it ran out in a couple weeks, I didn't dose and it only ever housed at most a pair of oto's. I think the trick is to start out with a decent amount from the get-go. Whereas HC is recommended beinging planted an inch apart, I'd say get enough to plant them about half an inch apart.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful. I just PMed someone on this forum for 2 portions. Hopefully its enough to start out. Actually, I had this plant a while ago and yes it grows very slow. Thanks for the info guys. I"ll keep updating this thread with new info about the tank and its process.

I'm going to a local nursery in a little bit to check out there rocks for bonsai and landscaping. hopefully I'll find some nice ones. Unfortunately I don't live near Mountains where I can find the seiryu like stones. And not wanting to pay $50+ for rocks limits me.

*20gal Long CRS Farm
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Algae Grower

Yep....I use the Tensor lights. I have them on a 4x4 wood block to raise it up.
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think im going to go a different route than the Seiryu like stones. I'm gonna use the smooth river rocks. and still have the MM carpet and some narrow leaf java fern in the back with some deep slopes on the sides of the tank.

I"m going on a run right now and will try to hunt down some smaller river rocks. Oh and for the raising of the lights, I have an old Bonsai stand that I'm going to use. :-)
Cheers!

*20gal Long CRS Farm
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I need some help guys. I'm trying to figure out how to set up the hardscape of the tank. I've been looking through tons of pictures for Iwagumi type setups. But none seem to use those smooth type river rocks.
My initial plan was to collect a bunch of the small river rocks and have them in the back left corner, kinda randomly piled up a little bit and have the substrate at a slop from highest point in the back left dropping down to the front right. Kind of creating a Mountain/Hill like appearance. Then have the Marseila Minuta covering the whole ground.

Anyone have any pics of tanks with those smooth river rocks? Just trying to get different ideas.

Thanks!

*20gal Long CRS Farm
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd say go for it. Especially because not may people have done it before!

If you look up some of CL's journals, I think he did a layout with only rounded river rocks that looked really cool. I don't think it was an iwagumi, but it would be a nice frame of reference.
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok. Thanks I'll look it up.

*20gal Long CRS Farm
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update: Just received my Do!Aqua Mini-M from UPS. When I get home from work, I'll be filling it in with substrate and trying to pick a hardscape. I found 2 nicely shaped stones but they aren't that tall just to have 2 stones in the whole tank. So it might look wierd with the top half being empty. I have a bunch of large/medium/small smoother river rocks (grey color) that I could try. The Substrate is 3M Colorquartz T Grade Black Color.

I"ll post pics tonight to see which looks best and for opinions. Can't wait to get home!

*20gal Long CRS Farm
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok so here's what I"m working with.

Imagine Marseila Minuta or UG covering the whole tank

Here are some other rocks I have that I can use...

I think I'm going with #4.... But on the fence with that one rock on the right.. Either take it out.. or move it towards the front...
What do you all think?

*20gal Long CRS Farm
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

looks cool. I think number 4 is a little too "rock heavy" on the left. I like #3 the best.

-el g
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 AM
Planted Member

I like one the best.
Nice rocks.

post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Planted Member

I like 1 or 4 the best. Nice rocks I just used similar ones in my Sulawesi shrimp tank and it looks really nice. The shrimp like to hang out in the little crevices between the rocks.

If you go with 4 I think you should push the front rocks into the substrate just a little bit more. Same with the single rock on the right.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Planted Member

1,3, don't care for 4 much at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode