Fluval Edge 6g Work aquarium Hightech WIP - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fluval Edge 6g Work aquarium Hightech WIP

First off, hey all, new guy here! thanks for all of your help-

Here is my 6g work in progress. This is my 3rd tank and I have been in the hobby for 14 months.(FW: Spec V and Edge 6g. SW: IM nano 10g)

This Edge is at work so I am away from the tank for 2-3 days at a time but right next to it for the other 4-5. I have someone feed one of those days for me so no care can be provided for 2 days ;( so far the Fauna seem fine, fat and happy.

I was hit really hard with BBA and some stag, getting over it now, i had to remove a bunch of HC and DHG =(

Tank:
Fluval Edge 6Gallon

Lighting:
I built this extra light out of a edge bottom i ordered and these parts:
Hagen.com:
Fluval Replacement Edge 23L Base

Rapidled.com:
1 x Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive
2 x Bulk Wire (Black)
2 x Bulk Wire (White)
2 x CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED
1 x 0-10V Dimmable Nano Driver with Potentiometer
5 x CREE XP-G2 Cool White LED (~6,000K)
Amazon:
Aluminum Heatsink Cooling for 4 x 3W / 12 x 1W LED

I BELIEVE the 5x white LED are 2.3watts each and the Royal blue are 1watt each, if this is true, max wattage is 13.5 (i know its not the best to go off of watts, i don't know the par value soo :P)

Co2:
(will be up and running in 5 days)
Amazon.com
AQUATEK CO2 Regulator Mini
Empire Paintball 24oz CO2 Tank

Rockwork:
Ebay.com
7lbs seiryu stone
Quartz (until I can stop the HOB from tearing up my substrate or find a better way to divert flow)

Substrate:
Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum (back and bottom of tank)
Seachem Laboratories Flourite Black Sand on top (cap)

Flora:
Dwarf hair grass - More will be added when it grows out from home aquarium
anubias nana petite - More will be added when it grows out from home aquarium
Temple compacta - Will be removed when I add more of the others.
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' - More will be added when it grows out from home aquarium
Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' - More will be added when it grows out from home aquarium

Fauna:
7x Neon Tetra
1x Otocinclus
2x Corydoras julii
2x horned nerite snail

9x RCS and they wont stop breeding!!!!! (there have now been over 100 shrimp that have been sold out of this tank and still over 100 left.)

Yes i know its over crowded..

Additives:
Seachem Flourish
Seachem Flourish Excel
Seachem Potassium
Seachem Nitrogen (will be added when more plants are in and the Fauna cannot provide enough Nitrate)
Seachem Prime

Filtration:
Stock HOB
Stock Bio media
Stock sponge
Carbon bag
Fluval Clearmax or Purigen
Filter floss

I will continue to work on this tank until it is damn near perfect! I have it on display and everyone who walks through the door of my business sees it. Going through new tank syndrome whilst on display is hard but it also helps me better myself in our hobby and in life! I know once I get through this multi-type algae bloom I will be able to sustain proper equilibrium between lighting, co2 and nutrients-

Tell me what you think? Good bad and ugly works, constructive criticism is best =)

P.S. why are all of my pics showing up upside down and sideways?!?!? grrr >_<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1044(1).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	644161  

Name:	IMG_1050.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	644177  

Name:	IMG_1054.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	644185  

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	644193  

Name:	IMG_1126.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	644201  

Name:	IMG_1131.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	644209  

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	644217  

Name:	IMG_1223(1).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	644225  

Name:	IMG_1224.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	644233  

Name:	IMG_1227.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	644241  

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1908.jpg
Views:	71
ID:	700882  

Econde likes this.

Complacency is the enemy of progress-

Last edited by Brahma04; 12-16-2016 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Updating info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

Digging the scape! Well done with the DIY lights btw, I've seen a lot of different takes on it and this rises to the top by far combining style with function very nicely! Well done!
Econde and Brahma04 like this.

Last edited by Sykith; 06-21-2016 at 02:59 AM. Reason: missread
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice job on the light! love the style! nice scape too.
Brahma04 likes this.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I finally got my Co2 Aquatek mini w/ solenoid (paintball tank) set up. Only problem is keeping a diffuser well hidden, without micro bubbles. So I have the line running into the intake of the AC20 HOB. Maybe chopstick shoved in co2 tubing then into the return on HOB? I was thinking I should diffuse it more before it gets sucked up into the impeller. Is there a better way to do this and keep everything well hidden?

Thanks-

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry I am no co2 expert, I am actually finally going to be upgrading to an aquatek by the end of this summer. However I would agree that most of it will will evaporate off before diffusing into the tank especially since the HOB will have a decent amount of surface agitation. Someone should be able to help you diffuse it more efficiently while hiding it though. Good luck.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would advise retuning the oto and cory. Both are shoal ing fish that should be kept in groups of 6 MINIMUM. They will be stressed kept alone. For a shoal of otos I'd reccomend a 20g long or larger and only after tank is planted, cycled, and aged for a few months to build up natural micro fauna for them. Also reccomend a minimum 20g+ for the julli cory.
Brahma04 likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry for the hiatus! Just a Pic update, its growing in nicely. I'm having some trouble with some Staghorne, GSA and BBA. I have come to the conclusion that my lights where way too high trying to get the Dwarf Baby Tears happy, established and pearling. The GDA and GSA is no longer growing on the glass, just my anubias leaves as well as the BBA/stag. Still a bit of work ahead but its lookin good so far! The shrimp are breeding like crazy, I have to take some out every 6-8 weeks as it looks like its infested lol.
P.S.
There are now two cories in there and they act like they are going to mate, constantly fluttering with one another in a T shape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1908.jpg
Views:	124
ID:	696258  

Econde likes this.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Algae Grower

Love how the scape has grown in. Great job

I also have a fluval edge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dec 1 2016 resize.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	696778  

Brahma04 likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nice! What lighting are you using?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:13 PM
Algae Grower

A cheap 15" LED I bought at a LFS. Only paid about $20 for it. Also I upgraded the stock 21LED light that came with the Edge to the 42 LED. Here are pics of the LED bar I bought:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Light1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	697570  

Name:	Light2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	697578  

Brahma04 likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma04 View Post
I finally got my Co2 Aquatek mini w/ solenoid (paintball tank) set up. Only problem is keeping a diffuser well hidden, without micro bubbles. So I have the line running into the intake of the AC20 HOB. Maybe chopstick shoved in co2 tubing then into the return on HOB? I was thinking I should diffuse it more before it gets sucked up into the impeller. Is there a better way to do this and keep everything well hidden?

Thanks-
How did putting the CO2 line into the HOB work? Did it get rid of the microbubbles? Did you have to increase your bps after? Did the CO2 have any effect on your filter bacteria?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry for the hiatus! Just a Pic update, its growing in nicely. I'm having some trouble with some Staghorne, GSA and BBA. I have come to the conclusion that my lights where way too high trying to get the Dwarf Baby Tears happy, established and pearling. The GDA and GSA is no longer growing on the glass, just my anubias leaves as well as the BBA/stag. Still a bit of work ahead but its lookin good so far! The shrimp are breeding like crazy, I have to take some out every 6-8 weeks as it looks like its infested lol.
P.S.
There are now two cories in there and they act like they are going to mate, constantly fluttering with one another in a T shape.

This is a really nice setup. Good job on the Lighting. It has really filled in! Makes me want to get a Fluval Edge
Brahma04 likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
How did putting the CO2 line into the HOB work? Did it get rid of the microbubbles? Did you have to increase your bps after? Did the CO2 have any effect on your filter bacteria?
So i ended up putting a diffuser riight next to the prefilter foam (fluval's) and the diffused Co2 gets trapped in the foam and then sucked up into the filter. so far i havent seen any issues, no burping or stalling HOB. I guess one could argue that its holding back the full potential the HOB has when it comes to BB growth but i cant tell. The Co2 is running just under 1bps so its not the most efficient method i guess but i dont have any micro bubbles from the Co2, only pearling and happy fish! =)

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
This is a really nice setup. Good job on the Lighting. It has really filled in! Makes me want to get a Fluval Edge
I love the tank now that its set up. Getting in the tiny opening for trimming/maintenance is a PITA. Make sure if you do you choose SLOW GROWERS! lol It's such a sleek tank how can you not want one! =)

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
So i ended up putting a diffuser riight next to the prefilter foam (fluval's) and the diffused Co2 gets trapped in the foam and then sucked up into the filter. so far i havent seen any issues, no burping or stalling HOB. I guess one could argue that its holding back the full potential the HOB has when it comes to BB growth but i cant tell. The Co2 is running just under 1bps so its not the most efficient method i guess but i dont have any micro bubbles from the Co2, only pearling and happy fish! =)
Thanks! I'll have to try that tonight.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Algae Grower

Thats interesting where you placed the diffuser. I have mine placed directly under the out flow of the HOB filer to help disperse the CO2 more but the bubbles are everywhere. Do you have a CO2 drop checker? And if you do, at 1bps, what color are you getting.

I might want to move my disperser like you but Im thinking that it might waste a lot of the CO2.

Currently I run at about 1bubble every 3.5sec but I run 24/7. This way I dont have to constantly turn the CO2 off and on everyday. My CO2 system is small (ISTA) and dont have a solnoid. I used to run about 1bubble every 1.75 sec and turn it off at night and back on in the morning. Now at 3.5 sec per bubble 24/7 its been working and im using less CO2 over all
Brahma04 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode