The Planted Tank Forum banner

2 Gallon Spec Office Tank

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Opare 
#1 ·
Hey guys -- new to this forum, though I've used links from this forum, as well as the others, for years to learn about different things. I tried a planted 55 gallon a couple years ago as my first go at this, but didn't have enough knowledge to do well with it. My 55 is now back to a saltwater locally caught aquarium and I've had this 2 gallon Fluval Spec in my office for about two years now. Love this thing. It's all stock, with the addition of a little 25watt heater and the outflow dialed down a good bit. I had a Betta in it for a year and half but lost him a couple weeks ago (RIP Sashimi). I saw the opportunity to do a small re-scape, plant a couple more plants and play with shrimp!

Currently, I have a couple java ferns, java moss (recently took out most of it and attached just a few small pieces to my DW), anubias nana petite, and 5 newly planted little Crypt wendtii plants along the back wall that I'm hoping with thicken up the back! New also are my 5 red cherry shrimp, 1 yellow guy, and a nerite- they've been awesome so far!

I dose a small amount of Seachem Excel and am soon to start with Flourish after water changes also, since my substrate isn't ideal for the crypts (though they are already shooting new leaves with minimal melt after 5 days).

This little tank has been so great to have in my office and I'm happy to start with a shrimp tank -- I already want more! Sorry for the subpar quality photos - iPhone.

Four of my little fellas snackin' on some spinach this morning.

Let me know what you think! Suggestions very welcome.

-Erick

See less See more
#5 ·
I appreciate it, Cmeister! Let's see how not cluttered it is in a couple months once those java's take over the top and crypts (hopefully) take the back.. haha we'll see. The tiny size does push for some creativity, it's been fun. First scape was a little different with tons of moss and wood.

#6 ·
Looks great some really nice big bunches of Anubias. I can't quite identify the yellow shrimp but it might interbreed with you red cherries and produce brown shrimp, which can be pretty cool. Your RCS have great colour though!
By the way Flourish (Comprehensive) only provides micro nutrients. To be honest I wouldn't dose anything for a while and see if it can survive off waste and tap water. If it can't then I would look to get so macros (NPK) and Flourish for micros and just dosing a REALLY small amount. Your plants aren't the fastest growers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Thanks for the input, Opare. The yellow shrimp was given to me from my local store when he got scooped up by accident, but he's awesome. It seems to be the same species as the RCS. Didn't really think about incomplete dominance hybrids if they interbreed.. could be cool.

I will follow your recommendation about holding off with flourish for now, I just know the crypts like their iron, and my substrate is nothing special (iron being a micronutrient/trace element is why I was going for the flourish). I am going to keep dosing the small amounts of excel bi-daily, as the algaecide effects are terrific in my little 2 gal. Plants seem to like it too(?).

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.