The Planted Tank Forum banner

What is this wizardry!??!

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  kinzo 
#1 ·
Hey guys, any idea what this green hair stuff is and how do I rid my tank of it????

Currently using DIY CO2 and lots of light (8-12 hours daily). I tried dosing with spot treatment with hydrogen peroxide and flourish excel, they turn white but soon resurrect themselves back to life (some die but not enough!).

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated...

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Hello

i think u need to increase your CO2 dosing and of course excel flourish

try to reduce light to 6 hours and do a %10 water change daily and %50 once a week

that helped my 5g tank to get rid of hair algae, i thought i won't get rid of them to be honest i was very disappointed

yours seems tough but try this method it might help

#7 ·
What size tank, what kind of light, and what kind of fertilizers are you using? Do you have any of your water parameters to list?

#9 ·
I believe it's Cladophora. Main cause being low co2 and/or nutrients. Perhaps needing an increase in both. I began to notice it when my nitrates bottomed out. It's actually not too terribly difficult to remove when it is covering low carpet plants. As these plants are firm root attachers simply go over with a tooth brush or sterile mascara wand.

#12 ·
I got algae that looked very similar to yours. It appeared after i moved and my solunar controller broke. After 2 weeks of 160 par this stuff was everywhere in my xmas moss.

I couldn't get rid of it. Black outs, excel ods. Nothing would work every day i would pull it out. I had to dump all the moss. I have a few stands but not many now.
Good luck i would be interested if there is a way to get rid of it.

#14 ·
I've read that API Algae Fix will 'fix' it, but it also will put an end to your shrimp. I've got that same algae intertwined in my shrimp tank moss jungle, too. One of these days I'll get around to taking the moss out and treating it. Manual removal is proving fruitless. Suppose in the meantime I can try cutting down on light even more.

#15 ·
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys! I haven't checked my water parameters in ages (I know I know), but I've just adjusted my lights to turn on just 6 hours (in the morning). Used to set to go on at night and early morning (so the natural light prolly added to the total photo period). Hopefully this will stop the madness!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.