The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cory cat behavior concern?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  roadmaster 
#1 ·
Hi! i'm quite new to fishkeeping, so bare with me if i ask any embarrassing questions :laugh2: in my low tech 15 gallon tank i have 3 corydoras catfish. two are blackfin corys and one is a julii. the julii definitely gets along with the blackfins but during the few times he's alone he seems to look/act noticeably timid compared to the other two. is this stress occurring because he is the only julii? i do have plans this coming month to start up a low/medium tech 40 gallon so i can move the fish i currently have. will adding more jullis make my little guy more comfortable? thanks!

#2 ·
More Corys in general would make all 3 more comfortable. It's suggested to keep each species in sets of at least 4, so more Julii would be good too. It depends on the space you have to accommodate them. I've found that most Corys will hang out regardless of species. Even in the wild Corys intermingle. In my tank I have Pygmys that chill with a large Melini, Pandas and Sterbai.

#3 ·
Just as a heads up you'll likely get a better response if you post this in the "fish" section. :proud: In my experience corys really become much more lively in groups of six or more. Even though corydoras are said to be diurnal, my peppered cory cats are very much nocturnal. They sleep huddled together under plants during the day and perk up at around 8 pm when the lights go out, they do wake up during feeding time however.

Cheers
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.