Nano lighting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nano lighting

Yeah who'd have thought another post on lighting?

Alright Ive got an 8 watt light T8 or T12 fixture that fits over my 2.5g quite nicely. Was told when I asked about it growth would be slow, limited species selection, etc. At first I was ok with this, but I can't shake the desire to tinker with it. I'm seriously considering CO2 and going more advanced. Ive done some bigger tanks (dutch style) before but since Ive moved I just don't have the time to put into a large set up right now. So the 2.5g will give me the fix I need.

I'm still waiting on a replacement heater and looking at aquascapes. I got thinking about upgrading the lighting also.

I found a 13 watt CF retrofit that would fit this fixture perfectly. I've never done a planted nano before and don't know if this is going to make a 2.5g algae farm or worthwhile.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

13 will be fine could even go a bit higher. Do a search there are alot of topics jsut like this one...

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the fast reply. 13 watts just sounds like a lot for such a small tank thats what worried me.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

WPG rule doesn't apply to nano tanks... I had 27 over my 5g when it was going last year.

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I keep seeing set ups like that. Anybody able to figure out why WPG doesn't apply? Again this is my first time dabbling in nano's so please excuse my ignorance
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Planted Member

I have a 4x65w light in my 55 gallon (4.7WPG). Without water, I get 3300 lux at 19 inches where the gravel is.

I have a 27 watt home depot light that's popular here for nano on a 2.5g. That should be 10.8WPG, however when I measure the lux at the gravel level (12 inches), I get 1200 lux.

I can get almost the same lighting in my nano as my big tank if I measure the light 6-7 inches from the bulb. If you had the light resting AT the water level, you could get almost comparable lux ratings, for double the watts per gallon on a 2.5g.

For low carpets in a nano, I would even possibly consider BIGGER than the 27 watter, especially if you're going to have the light a reasonable distance away from the water (So you can get access, etc)

For comparison, today, at mid day, it's overcast, cannot see the sun, and it's winter, and I'm measuring 24,000 lux at the ground outside.

The lux that hits the plants is really what matters. Watts per gallon, etc, are just rough estimative guides for lack of measuring equipment. PM me if you want me to measure anything else around the house.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Planted Member

As an additional note. I measured the distance from the lights to get the equivalent of a winter overcast day outside.

On the 27 watt nano light, in the middle you can get that same light output at 1 inch from the bulb, and 0 inches towards the side of the bulb. Really need to have the bulb sitting on the tank.

On my 4x65 watt light, I get the equivalent output at 4 inches from the bulb. This is the same distance from the light fixture to the surface of the water with standard light mounts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post
I have a 4x65w light in my 55 gallon (4.7WPG). Without water, I get 3300 lux at 19 inches where the gravel is.

I have a 27 watt home depot light that's popular here for nano on a 2.5g. That should be 10.8WPG, however when I measure the lux at the gravel level (12 inches), I get 1200 lux.
Well, I'm reading it, and I believe it, but I wish I understood why. I wonder if you can attribute it to poor reflectors or something like that???? I'd think the light intensity at any point would be higher because the tank is more shallow.

Regardless, it's very timely as I'm starting to get the pieces for my new Mini-M setup. I'm planning an Excel only tank, and have been trying to figure out what fixture to buy. I'm thinking 18-20W would be good, but based on your measurements I'm betting raising the light a few inches higher off the tank is going to have a significant impact on how things grow (including algae).

Thanks for sharing those measurements!

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode