post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i have 3 at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 06:12 AM
Algae Grower

Hey Alex!!
Looking forward to see how your tank is progressing.
I hope Sun is doing well too.

I thought I'd try my hand again at a planted tank. We'll see how it goes...
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Finally my g/f got a new digital camera.... So i patiently waited till she fell asleep and started shooting hehe. Here are a few shots i took, we dont have a Memory card for it yet because apparently this one uses a xD card not a standard SD Card... which i wish the sales associate would have told us before we left the store seeing as how best buy is quite a hike for us.

I added a Java Fern in the corner as you can see and i had to pick through all my riccia and re-net it because i had a u. gibba outbreak and that bladder plant was taking over, it had to be done and i had to throw out lots of riccia that was just tangled up in it and being suffocated. Hopefully it will grow back fast.

Im very excited about how the tank is growing, i was kinda of bummed with all the algae issues i had for the first few weeks but since ive implemented a 2.5 hour siesta period and added a few ottos and a snail there has been not much algae to speak of besides some thread in the fissenden. Hopefully when i get my shrimp they will clean out the debris.

I am getting shrimp this coming week im pretty sure, school has been tough and taking over my life, I just wrote several papers... and have several more writing assignments to do. Anyway here are the pics

Front Tank Shot

The tiny bit of UG is finally settled in and started growing.

Anyone know what that tiny green plant with the four leaves sprouting out of the ground is?

I am officially obsessed with Flame Moss

The Jungle is beginning to look a bit more dense...I suppose

Little Golden Apple Snail I got for free at the LFS

Gillian and Sun: Male and Female cohabiting peacefully!

Pretty little girl Sun

Hope you enjoyed
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That is growing in nicly. Good Job!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu
The Jake-arium
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Planted Member

Nice tank AlexXx.

Are these regular betta splendens? Interesting that you managed to get the male to tolerate the female like that. Any trick to that or is he just a really laid back male?

6g Fluval Edge journal
45g ADA 90p (early days)
2g Do!Aqua cube (unplanted for now)

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion - concealed pressurized CO2 - HOB CO2 injection - nano HOB heater - lunar lights
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

tuonor,

Its not always the Male who is the aggressive one. In this case the female is much more aggressive. Ive been at this betta splenden fish game for quite some time and believe me i observe and regulate if needed, this is my 2nd pair ive had in cohabitation with out a problem.

I have had both of these little guys for a while know and I have observed both of them in my different environments. Gillian, the male, has been placed with many different types of fish, and even shrimp, with never an aggressive spurt. He sure does flair a lot though, but only at his own reflection. That makes me think that maybe he is only very aggressive toward males, so far this hypothesis is true.

Sun on the other hand has lived in my 10 gallon sorority with many other females prob 10 different ones through her time and has lived to tell without any fin damage at all. She has been roommates with Gillian for a good 2-3 weeks now with still no chasing involved. They always swim up next to each other whenever i feed and they never flair at each other. I put my other female Fluffy in to see how she would fair and Gillian my male had nothing to do with her, but sun was VERY aggressive and i had to remove her in just one day. She was getting chased around like nobodies business.

I have always been skeptical about all this online bull jive i have read about females and males cohabiting being certain death. I've always heard it from everyone on this site and others, and ive even preached it. But then i though you know what, i might as well try it and observe closely so i can really know that if what I'm advising against.

So far I have had two pairs of male/females living together with ZERO problems, ZERO aggression, and ZERO tails missing. From what i have observed it is really a personality thing. We all know our fish all have HUGE personalities, and honestly they are a bit like we are. Some times we just dont like some one for no reason, i believe its the same for these fish. Some get along great and some just hate each other.

I know some of your could be concerned i am treating my fish poorly, but in all honesty I am not and if there were any signs of it I would removed either immediately. I am not saying I advise anyone else to try this. If you do i would make sure you have almost the same stipulations as a sorority tank. Lots of hiding spots, dense planting, and lots of time to watch and regulate. Make sure you get to know your fish for a few months, try to place a molly in the his/her tank, see how they react, try an oto, try some ghost shrimp, try some snails. See how they react to each and gauge it! Put one female or male in a cup and placed in another tank with the other opposite sex betta that you wish to cohabitat with and see how they react to that over a period of a day or so. Make sure both fish are well fed and put them both in cups for a time and release them both into a tank at the same time so that you dont put one into a tank that has been "claimed" by their territorial nature.

Sorry for this obscenely long post, i just really thought it was time to inform all you misinformed people who have simply read things on the internet and automatically declared them truths. Dont get me wrong, i would never put two males together but some times even two females are far to aggressive to live with each other. Its just like finding the right temperament of dogs to live together in a small place, some just dont work and some work out way to well, such as Gillian and Sun.

If anyone has any questions please do ask, and PLEASE do not attempt this without reading all of the above and really considering everything i mentioned. I am sure i have left some points out but its early. Again please dont be offended by this or anything. I know what im doing, I have kept bettas for a quite some time. I have taken plenty of time to research and till my subjects prove me wrong, i am sticking to this. Ive kept two pairs together with ZERO problems so im 2 for 2 thus far.

Have a lovely day everyone! Hope you enjoyed my writings, though very extensive....
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man its crazy how much you notice growth with photos! I didnt anything really grew THAT much! WOW.

Well there have been a few changes, plants taken out, added ect. Got some dwarf riccia and subwasertang (sp?), also some other things but dont remember (its late). I finally added shrimp too! I got about 20 i think, but I have had 5 or so deaths but i dont know why Also the impeller started getting noisy on my old filter (whisper PF10) so i got a zoo med 501 and love it so far! And on to the best part pictures!

FTS, I plan on trimming this weekend

I cant get over how awesome flame moss is!

subwasertang? hehe

I wish these guys would get busy already!

post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:42 AM
niQ

Awesome tank AlexXx! I too am working on a 10 g shrimp tank. I am going to use your thread for inspiration and ideas so keep these updates coming I agree that your flame moss is looking hot. I was given a small sample from a friend and I haven't figured what to do with it yet. I love the way its looking though on your branches. Very sweet dude, keep up the good work
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had a little catastrophe... I had 3 otos in the tank and now i can only find one... so i assume two died? possible? and may have been decomposing, but i only figured this out after i started loosing 1-2 shrimp a day for a few days straight. after loosing my 6th shrimp i tested the water and realized the ammonia was really high so i did a quick water change and then another one today. Luckily i havnt not lost any since the water changes and hopefully things will be better... im going to keep testing the ammonia every day to make sure there are no spikes :/ any how here are a few pics from before the spike.

post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
Sorry to hear about your otos and shrimp, I to am missing a oto, and just lost a clown loach.... probably a hint for me to keep an eye on the water conditions for the next few days as well.
Nice tank by the way =]
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
Is that Crypt Parva and UG in the background? I have a similar set up as well

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Green, i hope you find those fish, im still searching

Is that what that is? Crypt Parva? I got it on a random RAOK along with 75% of my plants right when i started browsing these forums. Ive always wondered what it was!
How exactly does that plant work/grow? Does it send runners? It looks like thats what its doing now... will it sprout new plantlets? or does it grow upward? Ive had it nearly 4 months and its hardly grown much, only 2 more leaves, but i think its finally starting to settle in and really root itself.

That is UG though, but it was not doing to hot because of lack of light and nutrients i supposed so i moved it to a 2.5 gallon tank to grow immersed for a while. Its been in there for about a week and really taken off already!

The UG is sending runners in all directions its great. I thought it woulda taken longer but at this rate i think it may be fully carpeted in 2-3 months.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking good sorry about the shrimp losses hopefully u can find them dead otos soon!

have you tried looking in the filter?
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

its a canister... and there is a nylon spandex thing over the intake, it would be impossible for one to get in there haha.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
Is that what that is? Crypt Parva? I got it on a random RAOK along with 75% of my plants right when i started browsing these forums. Ive always wondered what it was!
How exactly does that plant work/grow? Does it send runners? It looks like thats what its doing now... will it sprout new plantlets? or does it grow upward? Ive had it nearly 4 months and its hardly grown much, only 2 more leaves, but i think its finally starting to settle in and really root itself.
Yes, that is Crypt Parva. It's a VERY slow grower, however. It will send out runners but over the course of months.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode