The Planted Tank Forum banner

5.5 gallon kitchen tank

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  SwissCheeseHead 
#1 ·
My original plans were to set up a tank for my desk at work. After I started getting the equipment in, my wife mentioned that it would be nice if it stayed at home...what wife says, goes lol.

So I set it up on our kitchen counter. It's got eco complete for a substrate, and I took some struggling plants from my main tank to move to this thank, in hopes that the stronger light and "better" substrate will help the plants recover. Namely, the dwarf sag needed rehab the most. It's running an AC20 and Finnex planted plus clip on light.

I've got anubias nana, a crypt wendtii Mi Oya, and some Stuarogyne repens on the way, but I'm thinking the S. repens might go in the main tank, since the dwarf sag made it's way into the 5.5 gallon.

See less See more
#12 ·
All of the blyxa japonica completely melted, even though everything else is going well. I've heard that sometimes blyxa japonica just melts away? In any case, I've got some subwassertang coming in the mail in the next few days that I was thinking about putting where the blyxa was to fill up that space. I'll post pics when it happens. I've read it's pretty easy to take care of and that shrimp love it, so figured it would be a safe bet!

#16 ·
2 months old. Looks like I'll have to start dosing with dry ferts to help the plants a bit. The growth is good but the coloration isn't as intense as it should be. The anubias and crypts are doing great and the few strands of the mystery floating plants are starting to branch off!

#17 ·
Took out the swords and wisteria. For some reason, they would just not take hold with EI dosing and Excel. So instead of replacing them with more plants, I got some ohko stone from an LFS that just got some in stock. I think this makes for a more complete scape.

#21 ·
Another update. The manzanita branch became a rotting mess, which I think was causing water quality issues and I ended up losing some shrimp and a nerite snail in the process. There was also a lot of algae forming on the branch, so I decided to remove it. The crypt in the back corner had also started to decline, so I moved that to the bigger tank. Now the tank has only dragon stone and anubias nana (and one mystery bolbitis) and I quite like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.