The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - H2O2 experience (BAD ONE)
View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru
wkndracer's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Citrus County,Florida
Posts: 6,180
Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
First off, light is NOT required to break down hydrogen peroxide. Pretty much any contaminant will begin the decomposition process, and it will do so very rapidly under the conditions in our fish tanks. Secondly, bacteria are quite resistant to peroxide. Essentially all aerobic bacteria contain an enzyme called catalase that decomposes peroxide in order to utilize the oxygen, and is able to do this at relatively high concentrations. I've seen studies showing that bacterial growth stops around 300 mg/L, but I don't remember what concentration is required at what length of time to completely kill it. So assuming you dumped a liter of peroxide at 3%, you should be fine with a tank of at least 30 gallons (as far as bacteria goes). There may be a lag time for the bacteria to recover, but I doubt the tank has been sterilized.
"bacteria are quite resistant to peroxide" ???
3% topical peroxide is ok for tank use and very easy to find almost everywhere. 10ml/g treatment is a dosing used to kill algea and practically all waterborne bacteria and parasites, protazoans, etc. I use it often and to good result.

35% perox-aid is FDA approved for aquaculture.
Here's just a few of the linked papers I have saved from looking into materials for use in treatment and quarantine. quote:target concentration of 150 mg per L active H2O2 after several moribund fish from the tank were presumptively diagnosed with external columnaris.

The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome