The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - the holy trinity?
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator
Originally Posted by mstamper View Post
Carrots, onions, and celery are a mire poix.

the holy trinity is green peppers, onions, and celery. (at least if you come from Louisiana)
In different types of cuisines, exist what are referred to as the "Holy Trinities". In one type of Italian cooking, the trinity is onions, carrots, and celery. So I used this to make a simple quinoa salad. I look forward to experimenting with other cuisine's trinities in the near future and will share those as well.

• The French call it mirepoix; Americans call it the holy trinity; the Spanish call it sofrito; and Italians call it soffritto. The term literally means to fry something at a low heat for a short time. It is used to describe sauteed vegetables used as a base for a sauce. While there are variations, the vegetables usually used to prepare soffritto are celery (sedano in Italian), onion (cipolla) and carrot (carota).

Since I am Italian that's how I roll. And it varies by region an type of cooking. Another holy trinity is tomato basil garlic.

For your lighting. Start with a shorter time and work up the length. The plants will let you know without getting inundated with algae which can be a pain to get rid of.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome