The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - All Fluval Spec Mods
View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
PTrader: (13/100%)
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post

So a few things I've learned..

In order:

1: The tank is really nice, but you could always replace the filter. The black section is easily removable, and you could stick in some normal filter and still use it like that, just have the extra deep space.

2: If you hate the frosted glass, and you want to try out the idea in #1 (keep in mind that is kind of a permanent mod..) you can put normal scotch tape on the frost, and it makes it see through again. I personally like it the way it is, so I haven't done this.

3: I've looked for different filter ideas, or how to make it better, but I feel like for keeping fish and baby fish, you should put a nylon stocking rubber banded over the outflow if you have the stock black outflow unit.

4: The filter slit at the bottom is/was a huge issue for me. I'd love for different successes and failures on it, but I realized that plugging it completely wasn't the best idea. I put a plastic mesh cover on the front of the sponge cartridge, and when I slipped it down, it kept my shrimp from getting back there. I learned the hard way, they can, will and do get back there and die.

That's all I've got for now! I hope people like the idea of the thread!

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
I haven't really seen a reason or need to modify mine yet. The filter seems to be just right (flow wise) for the tank, and it has a huge amount of media compared to filters with similar flow rates. I also see no point in replacing a built in hidden filter compartment with a HOB filter. I also haven't had much of an issue with shrimp getting into the filter compartment, but the easiest way to fix the issue is by lowering the water level so that it is barely above the overflow strainer. That would likely reduce the flow of the filter, so it might be a good idea to put stainless steel mesh or something behind the strainer.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome