The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY CO2 ,does airstone need to be on bottom of tank

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Lia 
#1 ·
Hello
When you set up the DIY CO2 , should the airstone be on bottom of tank or it makes no difference as long as in tank?

Thanks

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks, my filter is an emperor with spray bar so not sure if that will remove the CO2 to fast, so as of now plan to just drop the airstone bottom of tank.

I put the bottle, etc together today and will start using it Tue as want to give the silicone glue a full 24 hours to harden.

I notice you fish for bass. We went last week by Glades for Peacock bass, caught several among other fish.

#7 ·
okay dumb question why not just put the line into the intake and out the return (spray bar under water)?

#8 ·
Some people do feed CO2 into the filter intake.

The problem with this (especially for canister filters) is that if there is sufficient CO2 being produced, then it could cause cavitation within the filter. But I doubt that DIY CO2 will generate enough CO2 to cause such problems.

For the filter return (the spray bar output), you want it to be below the surface of the water so that excessive surface agitation does not occur. However, at the same time, you want there to be some surface movement (soft rippling).

#10 ·
me hijacking the thread. what is a good rate for DIY CO2? Mine feeds bubbles into the pump intake. for the first few days I had a million tiny bubbles in my tank. now I have plenty but it's not really noticible unless I'm right in front of the tank.

If I remove the airline tubing from the pump to count bubbles what would be a good number per minute?

#11 ·
mine is CRAZY high for 6 gallon... almost killed my shrimps... so now i do like 1 hr in the am that's all... i'm getting like 4 bubbles per second.. NO idea how to slow it down!

#12 ·
Ways to slow the flow from yeast based CO2:

Cool it off.
I kept mine on top of the light. When the light came on it warmed the bottle. Lights out, bottle cooled off.

Raise the bubbler. Put it where the CO2 will sheet across the surface. This is wasting some, but better than killing the livestock. When the peak of production is over then move the bubbler to take advantage of the reduced CO2 and not lose any.

Use less yeast. It will grow more slowly, and perhaps start to kill itself in toxins before the population gets so high as to cause problems.

Use Jell-O as the sugar source. Slows down the process.

#14 ·
Ways to slow the flow from yeast based CO2:

Cool it off.
I kept mine on top of the light. When the light came on it warmed the bottle. Lights out, bottle cooled off.

Raise the bubbler. Put it where the CO2 will sheet across the surface. This is wasting some, but better than killing the livestock. When the peak of production is over then move the bubbler to take advantage of the reduced CO2 and not lose any.

Use less yeast. It will grow more slowly, and perhaps start to kill itself in toxins before the population gets so high as to cause problems.

Use Jell-O as the sugar source. Slows down the process.
"Use Jell-O as the sugar source. Slows down the process"

Interesting thanks

#13 ·
thanks !!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.