The Planted Tank Forum banner

20g *Needs better title*

11K views 72 replies 20 participants last post by  LopezTheHero 
#1 · (Edited)
Heyhey guys! So well my 29 gallon busted, so the next day I got a 20 gallon long! Ripped off the top rim and put all the stuff From the 29 gallon in and it's on it's way! I'm growing everything emmersed right now, so I can get a nice hc foreground from the start. Here's a picture of the progress thus far. I'll take some better Pictures tonight.

See less See more
#31 ·
Rescape! I know it's so soon but the previous scape was too similar to the 29. Here it is now, second is my plan. I placed a large order that will be here next week, Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan', Hydrocotyle tripartita, Myrio tuberculatum, Rotala wallichii, Blyxa japonica, Rotala sp. H' ra, and Java fern Needle Leaf.

The stems in the back I really don't know thr exact locations of them, but the bluegreen is Needle Leaf Java Fern, the green spikes things are Blyxa, and the blue is the Hydrocotle.

#32 ·
I painted a background! What do you think?

Also, I did a trim on the stems in the middle, I left the left corner so they can grow a bit taller and establish more and also so there's still growing mass to keep algae at bay.

#35 ·
Just out of curiosity how do those stems do with your flow ? I just purchased some R. Green yesterday, mostly because I had no fast growing plants to help soak up nutrients. I was surprised how fragile they are. My flow easily disturbs the shape. I don't want to sacrifice flow if it limits the co2 reaching substrate levels. How are you solving this problem ? Gorgeous btw...

Edit: well I see you have a spray bar on the short side. Maybe thats part of it.

#36 ·
I think that's the biggest part of it, but really I just plant them deep and they root very well so maybe they grow stronger with the current.. not sure, I've never had a problem like that! sorry

#37 ·
Well look how well they look growing back in! That's was my first trim too! That didn't take long.. I also trimmed the other part, a bit shorter, since they weren't as full yet. Also got some new plants! Blyxa, most importantly :D Little melting but some nice healthy leaves are visible so they should hopefully bounce back soon. ;D Bad news: Diatoms! It's annoying! Don't know why, either... Also! Got a new bulb; so now it's a 6500k and a 10,000k. I like this combo way better than what I was using (2x 6500k)

#38 ·
Little update! fish! 15x Black neon tetras, 3x cherry barbs, 2x sparkling gourami, and 3 otos.

Sorry the plants look like crap they're still recovering from a massive hair algae breakout I'm still dealing with.

#40 ·
Thanks! I'm having a hard time dialing in co2 at this point, the Otis and barbs start acting weird with the co2 than I want it at, they react once it starts getting in the leaf green color :(

But I'll take it Dalit as not to hurt the inhabitants!

#42 ·
VERY NICE SCAPE!!!

Your plants are looking awesome! Marko is right on about the Co2 just go slow and acclimate them for a week or so and they will be fine! Before the fish were in it was hard to tell what size tank it was! Great balance!!!

Drew

#44 ·
Update!

Got some new plants, Alternanthera reineckii rosaefolia, Rotala macranda 'Butterfly', Rotala macranda, Ludwigia brevipes, and Rotala rotundifolia. I removed the cherry barbs because they were they only fish reacting to the co2, since moving them out I have been able to increase the co2 alot!

#47 ·
The light is an AquaticLife 30" model with 2 bulbs, a GE 6500K Starcoat and an AquaticLife 10,000k (did not come with lamp)

Filter is a SunSun filter, I forget what the GPH is but it's alot, the water current is strong.

#51 ·
I thinnk the colorata is starting to turn more and more red! Fingers crossed!

More pictures! The black neons are actually very pretty, they have a bright red patch above their eyes and their horizontal white stripe is very very bright! Also their dorsal fins have turned a shade of red and their bottom fins are yellow! Very cool! The next ones are my sparkling gouramis that I THINK is a pair, not positive, if someone can sex them that'd be great! Hydrocotle grew in really fast now that it's gotten established!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.