The Planted Tank Forum banner

Low-light plant suggestions?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Adri. 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm looking for suggestions on low-light plants. I have the low lights(obviously), no co2, no ferts...I may eventually have all that on this tank, but I just can't afford it right now. Currently I have Java Ferns, Amazon Swords, and Wisteria. I have Narrow Leaf and Windelov Java Ferns that I'll be adding in here once they grow a bit bigger in my other tank.
There's a few specific kinds of plants I'm looking for...
Tall plants. My tank is over 20" tall, so something that'll reach a nice height would be great. I really like the look of the tall Ludwigia and Val plants, but don't know how they'd do in a tank like mine. Any suggestions on tall plants besides those would be nice, too.

I'm also looking for bushy plants. Ones where their base is hidden by all the leaves...

Anndd just in general any plant that might show a decent growth rate even in the lower light. I love variety in my tanks.

The one thing I for sure don't want in this tank, is moss. I also can't afford really expensive plants. I get an allowance from my parents(only because I can't get a job) of $40 a month. So I'm really trying to avoid the plants that cost a lot!
The bigger/faster a plant will grow, the better! This is a really big tank, so it's going to take a while to fill out. The faster the plants grow, the faster it'll start looking nice. I also can't have any itty bitty plants because the fish in this tank are large and might accidentally uproot anything too small.

So, any suggestions for me?
Thanks guys!! :smile:

See less See more
#3 ·
I have vals in my low light, no tech 29g tank, and I'm hoping they do well (its early days and I trimmed off the melting tops, but its looking healthy now!). I also have egeria najas, which grows super tall, super fast. I planted some trimmings a month-ish ago, and some stems are almost at the top. Also bacopa monnieri which is also doing well (although took a few weeks to get settled). And in my 10g, I also have asian ambulia which is also doing well.

Hope that helps!

#4 ·
I've had good luck with water sprite and crypt spiralis in my low light tank. Crypt spiralis doesnt spread fast and the water sprite will pop up a lot until it roots but once it does it will probably stay put with your fish. I think it really helps keeping that tank algae free by absorbing a lot of nitrates.

#5 ·
I'd suggest getting some Hygrophilia Polysperma-sunset hygro. It grows well under any conditions, and will reproduce via trimmings quickly. A friend of mine bought one single plant of it just under a year ago, and since then, he has completely filled a 20 high, a good chunk of both of his 55's, and both of my ten gallon's. Besides growing/propagating quickly, it looks good! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.