The Planted Tank Forum banner

Starting to think my lighting is not enough...

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Hilde 
#1 ·
After doing some snooping around the forum, I came across the PAR sticky, and I am now lost and thinking that my current light is simply not enough.

I have a standard 55 gallon. I have various anubias, swords, water sprite, wisteria, lutea, micro swords, pellia, and jave moss. My lighting right now is a dual 48" shop light with 2 GE 6,500k T8 bulbs and nothing else. There are also no reflectors on the shop light. Its a black shop light that you would find at lowes or home depot.

Please et me know what needs to be changed, also not sure if this matters, but the lights are on 9-10 hours a day.

#2 ·
What lead's you to believe lighting is not enough? Is this low tech, or high energy tank with CO2 ?
Could maybe run dual T5 NO,or dual 24 watt T5 if lighting is raised high enough on low tech. But remember,, that increased lighting, means the need for increased CO2 and increased fertilizer.
Low to moderate light mean's less CO2 is needed and less fertilizer.
Need to know your goal's as far as growth, and desired maint.

#4 ·
What lead's you to believe lighting is not enough? Is this low tech, or high energy tank with CO2 ?
Could maybe run dual T5 NO,or dual 24 watt T5 if lighting is raised high enough on low tech. But remember,, that increased lighting, means the need for increased CO2 and increased fertilizer.
Low to moderate light mean's less CO2 is needed and less fertilizer.
Need to know your goal's as far as growth, and desired maint.
So I do have enough?

#3 ·
Its a low tech setup

#6 ·
Not sure in regards to growth, fairly new tank setup. I do have root tabs for heavy root feeders such as the lutea and swords. I am dosing seachem flourish comprehensive twice a week, seachem equilibrium after every water change, and there is also whatever fish bioload in the tank. I have not seen any algae either.

#7 ·
I would not try to increase the lighting except for duration. (If algae appear's,, decrease duration).I believe T5 bulb's will quickly make lack of CO2 apparent, Plant's falter,algae will take advantage of the inbalance, and also require more than just the flourish comprehensive.
Growth in low tech tank's is most often measured in week's, month's in my expierience.

#10 ·
I really want to get ahold of some Anubia Petite Nana, digging the size and forground oppurtunities.

#12 ·
Does he sale the anubias? I would definitly purchase some. There are definitly no sources for a wide range of plants around me.

#14 ·
I would like them small, I want them for the foreground. Also, are they planted/placed the same as other anubias?

#18 ·
I have a standard 55 gallon. I have various anubias, swords, water sprite, wisteria, lutea, micro swords, pellia, and jave moss. My lighting right now is a dual 48" shop light with 2 GE 6,500k T8 bulbs and nothing else. There are also no reflectors on the shop light.
These plants will probably be okay with the light you have. Instead of spending money another light, you could do a DIY reflector. Might check out hydroponics shop for 1.

#19 ·
I was thinking about that, i think I will just use foil tape. I have some left over from doing it to a few other light fixtures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.