The Planted Tank Forum banner

So pleased with this little beauty!

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  InannaMoon 
#1 ·

I almost don't want to spoil it with fish and their poo!! :)

See less See more
#4 ·
I was thinking of shrimp maybe, but worried they might get out as the lid doesn't really seal to the top at all. What do you think? I have some diamond tetras in the big tank and could move 2 or 3 up here if I could catch them. We already have one shrimp tank downstairs so I could probably stock from there as well with the rate they are breeding! :D

#6 ·
or go with a single exorbitantly priced male Betta, see how many years you can keep him alive in his new condo.:) (just be sure to get one that you can keep looking at for years and never get tired of the coloration)

#14 ·
Exactly,i am poor but i dont care! ahahahahahaha

The first thing you have to do,is to make sure that your water is right for them.
The most of the people here who have crs is the temperature of the tank during
summer time,but i think you will not have this problem in England.
I will exchange as much sun as you wish,its the only thing we have left here!:)

#17 ·
They're often maligned, but I really like ghost shrimp for my smallest planted vessels. Inexpensive and hardy, they add an unobstrusive and nearly maintanence free bit of action in a tank, don't need to be in multiples to be happy--but offer amusing interaction if you decide to go with more. Coloration is a toss-up, but it's not unusual to find ones that mature into subtle orange and red touches and with minimal feeding they'll happily scour the tank for anything edible helping to keep it picked clean.

Frankly, I never tire of watching mine hanging upside down from floaters picking thru the roots or sailing across the tank. Several of mine have even learned to come to the surface to eat from my fingertips.

#18 ·
Inanna, shrimp, given happy conditions, will not climb out of tanks.

You sound like a first timer for shrimp, and I'd really encourage you to hold off on fish, test your parameters (assuring yourself you have no nitrates, stable temp, decent TDS and stable PH) then buy some pure fire red neos. I love speedie's supreme reds.

With no natural predators, nobody to eat the fry, they'll be VERY happy, show their true colors, swim and reproduce happily.

In my opinion, they're more fun than any other invert and way more interesting than fish.

On the ghost shrimp note-- I recommend against ghost shrimp. They're so often mislabeled, they can be extremely mean, harm fish and harm other tankmates.

Neos will breed, (ghosts will not) they're 100% peaceful and they are beautiful to look at.

If you love the look of ghost shrimp, allow me to recommend Snowball neos. They're translucent, have a beautiful white coloration to their eggs, and act the same as every other neo.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

#19 ·
Mark, we've got a tank of shrimp at the moment, cherries and amanos. We also have shrimp in our 2 other tanks (250 litre and 50 litre) including a pair of bamboo shrimp in the big tank. It's just that this tank has a loose lid and plants near the surface so I wasn't sure if they would go wandering or not, but thank you for the advice. :)

#20 ·
No problem!

Most shrimp LOVE hanging underneath the floaters and even picking the surface.

One of the funniest things to me is when shrimp climb up a moss laden HOB.

They look so goofy because they look so out of place out of the water xD they get really flat.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

#21 ·
Heehee! They really are just amazing creatures all round! When I started with the first tank I never would have even dreamed I'd end up a shrimp addict but now... well, yeah, that's a bit of an understatement! I guess I love the fact that I can add them to just about any tank and they will only improve it! Not just the interest but the water quality as well! Diligent little fellas keep everything so nice and tidy. Except the bamboo shrimp I have to say. Lazy. VERY lazy. Tsk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.