The Planted Tank Forum banner

visiting boston - any tips?

940 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  houseofcards 
#1 ·
My boyfriend and I are planning a weekend trip to Boston in January. We have been looking at things to do and there is just sooo much! So does anyone know of any must see attractions? Any museums that we must visit or even any of the historical landmarks? Are there's any great hole in the wall places to eat? :red_mouth:

#2 ·
If you're looking for a historical tour of Boston, i would recommend the duck tours. It's an amphibious vehicle that goes around the city then it plunges into the Charles river. If you want to walk, you can do the freedom trail, which starts in boston common and ends up in Somerville. It's pretty long, but i feel that boston is a walking city. But it really all depends on the weather. The boston aquarium is also really interesting. Try to go in the morning of a weekday. If it gets too crowded, you can't really enjoy all of the exhibits.
If you want to shop, check out copley and prudential mall and Newbury street. Harvard square is also really cool. That whole area is i interesting to just walk around. Plus you can walk through Harvard yard which is nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

#5 ·
Don't get caught in "combat zone" after dark.
Back in early eighties,, this was poor area to be in in daylight .
Worked construction back then, and visited this area only once, and was releived to escape with only minor abrasion's contusion's.
I understand thing's have changed in this area?

#10 ·
Definitely visit the aquarium! They have some fantastic freshwater setups. One of the guys who actually works on the freshwater tanks at the Boston Aquarium is a member of this forum... i'll have to see if i can find his username. Of course, they have superb saltwater setups as well. :) Perhaps their most spectacular saltwater tank is their coral tank... it's huge!

#11 ·
These are all great suggestions. We were definitely looking to do a few of these things before I asked. I really would love to go to the aquarium. We always go to zoos but never really an aquarium. The duck tours sounds fun. My sister said she did it once but not the part where you go down the river. Idk tho. We will only be there for 3 days and want to gert as much done. We are most excited about the seafood on the north end though. Thanks for that wastedtime!

#12 ·
Chinatown if you like Asian food.
The Prudential if you like shopping.
MFA if you like fine art.
Symphony Hall if you like classical music.
Quincy Market if you like a busy atmosphere.
North End if you like Italian food.
Fenway/Garden if you like sports.
And much, much more.

#13 ·
Faneuil Hall is a really nice area to walk around, eat, whatever just be wary of some parking garages there. I pulled into one and they only accepted cash at checkout. Half the people waiting to exit didn't have cash so the line got all backed up. And what do they have right at the exit gate, a cash machine with a huge service charge on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.