The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hardscape suggestions

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  rozdaboff 
#1 ·
Hey everyone - I have a general thread over in Aquascaping that walks though the process I have been going through [http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198688]

But I am near the end of my hardscaping and wanted to get some final comments from the local group.

Here is my rockscape. I forget the name of the stone - but I picked it up at the Fish Hut in Saddle Brook (I am pretty sure - we hit a few LFS that day). It is a nice brick red stratified with dark grey. Substrate is Amazonia Aquasoil Powder with Power Sand base.

And here are the two branch options. I think that option 1 is better, as the single branch doesn't have enough detail to stand alone.

Branch option 1

Branch option 2

Please let me know what you think. Even if it is brutal.

See less See more
#3 ·
I like both wood arrangements but the rocks haven't any reason for being there. They haven't any relationship to one another and will be swallowed up by any plantings. Sure pretty though.

What about making a pile under the wood where you cannot plant anyway to fill in that area and have it trail off in the presumed pattern of water flow?

#4 ·
Thanks - I appreciate it.

I am doing low-tech - so while I am planning some low plants for the foreground (Crypt parva, Hydrotyle siptherpoides, Hygrophila species 'Araguaia'), some tall stuff for the background (Chain swords, Crypt balansae) and some Anubias nana for the driftwood - but nothing carpet forming. So the hope is that the rocks will peek through - especially with the red color.

#5 ·
Hello :) I haven't read your other thread but those are some beautiful rocks and driftwoods.

The lack of sloping and variation in substrate heights stands out most to me.
You can certainly make what you have work, when it grows out it will be beautiful regardless of our efforts but as a standalone, there's no flow. The rocks aren't giving any cohesion to the branches, perhaps they are too scattered?

In #1, since the butt of the driftwood sticks out there could be something to 'counter' it on the opposing side. I think if you stack some of those beautiful rocks into the right-hand corner and then covered them with substrate, letting only their fronts break out from said substrate, you will have a gentle slope that can balance your overall image.

Another suggestion: can you rearrange the 'bundling' of the two pieces of driftwood? I like where the placement of the single driftwood is in #2, perhaps you can add the second piece lower down? It will help spread some visual 'weight' to that opposing corner again.

#6 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Here is the most recent change using Kathyy's advice - and it makes sense as the area under the driftwood in the corner will get very little light. Here is what I came up with:

But I agree with you Jellie - that the back right corner looks empty. But, there is substrate sloping in the tank - it just doesn't show great from the angle I take the front shots. Here is a side shot. I think the slope will be better emphasized when I plant it - it is only a 10g tank - and I don't want to go much higher on the substrate as some of my back plants will be taller. But I will see what I can do about the right hand side.

#8 ·
Here is a shot of the tank planted. I did something a little different with the rocks then in the last picture- making a bit of a wall between the lower and higher substrate. There is a small rock pile under the base of the driftwood and then another on the right.

I started a Journal thread where I will update as the tank grows in and gets its livestock. There is also a plant list there.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=200064

#12 ·
Here is my plant list:

Foreground:

Marsilea minuta
Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides
Crypt parva
Crypt willisii

Midground/background:

Crypt petchii
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hygrophila species 'Araguaia'
Rotala sp. 'Bangladesh'
Hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia', Willow Leaf
Java fern - narrow leaf
Myriophyllum mattogrossense

Attached to driftwood:

Anubias barteri nana
Anubias barteri petite
Mini Xmas moss
"Weeping moss"
Willow moss
Fissidens

Background:

Echinodorus bolivianus
Crypt retrospiralis (back right corner - the leaves melted - hoping it will make a come back)

Floaters:

Phyllanthus fluitans, Red Root Floater
Salvinia cucullata

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.