The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shipping fish--priority or express?

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  mistergreen 
#1 ·
I'm looking into buying some Corydoras habrosus, but I'm not sure which shipping option to get. I would prefer to get the priority, considering it's $20 less, but does anyone have any experience with shipping/receiving fish through priority mail?

#11 · (Edited)
Another thing to consider is the time of year. With the onslaught of holiday shipping, Priority packages can take longer and longer to reach their destination. Many sellers will only ship Express or over night this time of year because of that.

Personally, I'm not sure how anyone has the patience to wait 2-3 days (can take 5-7) for critters shipped Priority.
Actually long distance is my preferred for priority shipping.
Fla to the North or far West is a flight on the same plane right next to the express packages. 2 days to Washington State and SoCal several times.
Holiday season shipping is always a nightmare.

#7 ·
They're not expensive at $3 each. And I'm not out of home for long so I can always get the package in an hour or two after it arrives. And I thought cories were pretty hardy?

#10 ·
Another thing to consider is the time of year. With the onslaught of holiday shipping, Priority packages can take longer and longer to reach their destination. Many sellers will only ship Express or over night this time of year because of that.

Personally, I'm not sure how anyone has the patience to wait 2-3 days (can take 5-7) for critters shipped Priority.

#16 · (Edited)
Ok, i am going to chime in.

1. USPS express does not give refunds for packages containing live fish until the third day. If the package is delayed for more than 3 days, you can get a refund. This policy went into effect in Jan of 2010, I believe

2. Priority- generally depends on if you are in a rural area, urban area, temperatures, and the particular sort facilities and postal deliverer. I routinely have priority packages take 4-5 days. All year round.

3. Cories should not be shipped in breather bags unless air is left in the top,w hich is counter-intuitive to using breathers.

4. Faster is ALWAYS better. Please note, while often fish do "fine", being in bags for prolonged periods of time with water that is getting increasingly dirty can do damage you do not see- burning of the gills most notably.

5. Heat packs- they work, but they are not a consistent temperature. They have a "peak" temp that they reach, then gradually cool down over the duration. Because of this, if temperatures are very cold, they are not sufficient. Also keep in mind that how the packages are physically moved (in a truck, on a plane) etc can effect what the temperature of the box will be as well. Also, heat packs are only effective if the interior temperature of teh box can be maintained, the stop working when things get quite cold.

My preference is to never have fish take longer than 2 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.