Planted Tank Guru
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
If the wood is completely dried out inside and you cannot tell what species of wood it is unless you sample and check under a microscope then the wood is likely safe.
If the wood was live before it went in the water it could be sappy inside even if the bark is gone. If the wood was dead before it went in the water the sap is likely gone and it is safe.
Driftwoodhunter, that wood clearly wasn't completely dry. Did it kill any of your critters? Sounds like it was more a nuisance than anything else.
My bunny was seriously irritated that an inedible plant lived in HER back yard and did eat oleander - the completely dead leaves apparently haven't any poisonous sap left. Take that you poisonous plant! The leaves were dropped by the plant naturally and she wouldn't touch just any part of the oleander.