The Planted Tank Forum banner

75 gallon plants.

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  HunterX 
#1 ·
I am about to start adding plants to my 75 gallon aquarium soon. I have some wisteria/banana plants in there now and have some java moss on the way.
Lighting is a odyssea 2x54w (6500k) t5ho suspended about 12" from the tank.
I have about 80lbs of eco complete in the tank and probably going to add another 20lb bag eventually. Im needing suggestions on what to put in here.

See less See more
#3 ·
Low light without co2 for now, co2 might come in the future.

The look im going for would be like this kinda :

I like the open space in the middle and dont want as much carpet plants.
Dont want to trim plants on a weekly basis but every couple weeks would be fine. Im stocking the tank with community fish (angels/cories/otos etc).
I have some seachem flourish root tabs I am going to use.

#6 ·
Right here on the forum.

There may be a few local places in Kentucky but not many. Certainly won't find the variety you'll get here.

One thing that may help you make a decision on the plants you like is to take a look at some 75gal tank journals here on the forum. You could get a better idea for the scale of plants and that will help narro things down.

#7 ·
I have a 75, I'm planning on large groups of some beefy stems, crinums, swords (do yourself a favor and don' get plain green ones, you can do better and have fancier stuff :p) mosses, lilies, and I hope to have rare crypts coming out of my ass XD.

Blyxa japonica is a nice grassy plant, and I hear that it works well under low light too. I believe that most hygro species could work out and there are definitly some ludwigia species that can chill in this. I also am a fan of apongeton species, especially since a 75 is big enough to handle them, and they work well in low light. My madagascar lace was doin' okay in low light for a bit.

#8 ·
i cant wait to get a 75. i have a red melon sword that has out grown its 55 it is planted in the middle and is touching both front and back of the tank. i have marsilea in my tank and like it but its not a great ground cover for that big of a tank i do like the dwarf sag it might be a good ground cover for your tank and its low light

#12 ·
Is it just me or does the tank appear to be way under filtered? All I see is two small HOB. Is that it? You're not going to get much water circulation with those filters which is important for plant grow. The circulation helps move FERTS and CO2 (If you decide to use) to all the plants. You could use a power head but still need more filtration to help keep the water healthy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.